Top 5 non-mainstream bands today

Despite all the hype about the top 20 songs today, there are other bands out there that are just as enjoyable.

By pic from Björn Carlsson at Flickr (Own work) [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

The Pixies, Bright Eyes, Dead Kennedy’s, Fleet Foxes, and Awolnation are some non-mainstream bands with different qualities, like the lyrics and sound of the whole band. The genre of all five bands are grouped into alternative and indie folk/rock.
Junior Sarah Bailey, who enjoys listening to the Pixies and Dead Kennedy’s, commented on the two bands’ styles.
“The lyrics make you think, and the instruments sound good together,” said Bailey.
Another junior, Megan Burns, also said something along the same line. They both commented on the lyrics and how the instruments and singing sound good together.

“The lyrics have good messages,” said Burns. “These bands express good messages like not to give up and  keep trying.  Some songs are really silly and fun to listen to as well, but they don’t really have any specific meaning”.

Senior Tom Shaffer spoke knowingly on this certain style of music.

“They put you in a state of mind that feels comforting,” he said.
Of course, everyone does not like the same genre of music, but that doesn’t mean one shouldn’t try to listen to different bands. Adding variety can help stimulate the brain and, in turn, express one’s self.