Robby’s rants: Orioles make it ‘snow’

Somebody get me my winter coat; it’s going to snow! The Baltimore Orioles are actually a contender for first place in the American League East. It has been a usual Baltimore season with the O’s starting off on fire, and after a certain amount of time they have sunk down. This time though they have managed to pull themselves out of their mess and become a force to be reckoned with. Some of that credit has to go to the O’s newest weapon in the arsenal, their third baseman, #13 Manny Machado. Only 20 years old, the rookie was brought in within seven left in the regular season to give the team a physical morale boost.

So far, he has made a statement with four home-runs (one being from his first game as an Oriole), seventeen RBI’s (runs batted in), and a .264 batting average. Another player recently brought up was Dylan Bundy who hasn’t had a chance yet to prove himself as an Orioles’ pitcher but has promise. Currently the race for first is neck and neck; the New York Yankees are 85-63, Orioles are 85-64, and the Tampa Bay Rays are at 79-70. Only the top two teams out of the three will advance to the playoffs. One will take the American League for first, while the runner-up will take the wild card slot. All three teams have a similar schedule of opponents: the Oakland Athletics, Seattle Mariners, Toronto Blue Jays, and Boston Red Socks. The only thing it will come down to is which team can win out the rest of the season and avoid all possible injuries. The Yankees have already taken a heavy amount of injuries for some of their best players. Most of those injured players have returned like CC Sabathia, so the Yankees most likely will lose at least one more player before the season is over. The most season endangering injury to the Orioles was Nick Markakas’ broken thumb that occurred recently, but with the way that JJ Hardy is playing, the Orioles should have no problems reaching the play-offs. The Orioles do have one major weakness that will be exposed: their missed opportunities. The O’s have the least amount of sacrificed runs in all of the MLB. This translates to, when the O’s have runners on first and third with one out, all the batter has to do is hit it into the outfield, so the runner on third can score. But that’s never the case. It’s always a ground ball double play that results into three outs. Players get paid millions of dollars just to hit a ball, and every time it never fails, they either strike out or hit it straight into the dirt. Teams like the Rangers will be sure to expose this down the road. It’s been a long time since the Orioles had more that just a pinch of hope for play-offs; no one of this generation has seen anything like this. An Oriole fan should be proud to be recognized for something other than supporting one of the worst teams in baseball.