The Flu Runs Rampant this Winter

By Alvie McCrum, Reporter

The flu hit Susquehannock hard this winter, spreading its nasty effects throughout the building.

The flu starts by attacking the lungs, nose, and throat that is being spread through bacteria and bodily fluids.

The flu is a very common infection/virus and could be deadly if not treated correctly and noticed as soon as possible.

It is partly preventable by the vaccine that people can get at their doctor’s office, but it doesn’t 100% prevent the flu.

Susquehannock’s school nurse Melinda Landis believes that the flu has definitely gotten worse and has affected many students.

Landis said, “There have been more cases this year than last year and hitting more in this general area.”

Landis believes this is due to the vaccine.

“The vaccine that many people have gotten wasn’t effective because the vaccine wasn’t effective for the type of flu that was spreading,” said Landis. 

But, there are other ways school students can prevent the flu from spreading and getting bacteria from one person to the other.

Students can wash their hands, cover their mouth when they cough, avoid sharing drinks and keep others and their own hands away from their face.

“Stay home when they’re sick, cover their mouth if sneezing or coughing, keep hands away from their face and wash their hands frequently,” said Landis, of ways to prevent the flu.

English teacher Karen DeLuca suffered from fevers, aches, chills, headaches, body aches, and a really painful, lingering cough. DeLuca believes that she went to the doctor too late, and because of that, they couldn’t prescribe her with anything, making her wait it out.

She was home sick for days and could barely get out of bed which shows how bad the flu can really get.

In addition, DeLuca said, “I…missed five days of work, and there was nothing I could take to make myself better, but the over the counter medicine like Ibuprofen.”

Sophomore David Wentzel was one of many students that has been affected physically and somewhat emotionally by the flu.

Wentzel said, “I have lost 20 lbs because I could barely eat anything, but maybe ice cream and water.”

Wentzel said the flu has kept him from  doing his school work and getting out of his bed.

“The two weeks were difficult, even though I had emailed my teachers for my work… There was still a large portion that I could not fulfill due to my previous state,” said Wentzel

Wentzel was completely sidelined.“I could not come to school and complete any, tasks and I was forced to stay in bed and wait until I got better,” said Wentzel. 

In the end, the flu is a virus that can affect people in many ways that even doctors cannot help, but the only way to get better is to stay in bed and get better.