Latest and Greatest: The Vampire Diaries

The Vampire Diaries has been a hot topic lately as viewers tune in to The CW to watch the popular TV series.

Photo By Gage Skidmore Uploaded by MyCanon (The Vampire Diaries) [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via       Wikimedia Commons                                                                      Paul Wesley, Nina Dobrev, and Ian Somerhalder  star in The Vampire Diaries.

The show is currently running its fourth season and airs on Thursdays at 8:00 PM. Based off of the  book written by L. J. Smith, the teen drama series was carefully developed by Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec. The show’s main protagonist Elena Gilbert, played by Nina Dobrev,  is trying to get over the tragic death of her parents. Small town Mystic Falls is Elena’s home town, but it holds supernatural secrets that are waiting to be dug up.

The show is hardly boring and can definitely keep an audience on their feet. Romance works its way into the plot as Elena has to decide between brothers Stefan, played by Paul Wesley, and Damon Salvatore, played by Ian Somerhalder. The makeup creates the actual look of a vampire, with angry, bloodshot eyes. Normally, books give more detail than movies or shows, but in this case, the TV show definitely exceeds the expectations of readers and is nearly addicting for viewers as the story moves and gets more suspenseful within every episode.

Dobrev plays the beautiful and innocent Elena Gilbert with ease as well as her wild and untamed doppelgänger, Katherine. Somerhalder plays the suave, trouble-making Damon Salvatore. Wesley plays the mysterious Stefan Salvatore but also shows his bad-boy side when he switches rolls from trustworthy Stefan to a ripping vampire that shows no remorse.

Stefan and Damon also have a past as they are 162-year-old vampires whom both fell in love with vampire Katherine Pierce in 1884. It was no coincidence that Katherine, also played by Dobrev, and Elena look exactly alike.

Elena soon comes to know that the Salvatore Brothers are vampires, and she cannot seem to escape supernatural creatures. Bonnie, Elena’s best friend played by Kat Graham, is a powerful witch that has recently found her powers.
More and more supernatural creatures make their way to Mystic Falls, and Elena and her friends have to try to contain them. As the town becomes flooded with vampires, more of Elena’s friends find themselves a member of the living-dead.

Somerhalder has seemed to have captured the hearts of teenage girls everywhere, and I could not agree more.

The latest season includes Elena trying to figure out how to be a vampire now that she has been turned. There may be a solution to all of her problems if she can find the rumored cure to being a vampire. The Salvatore brothers are determined to help find the cure for their beloved Elena.

Elena’s brother, Jeremy, played by Steven R. McQueen, is the key component in finding the cure as a mysterious tattoo appears on his arm that marks his destiny to be a vampire hunter. With a hunter living in the house, Elena must find a way to cope with all of the newly found problems controlling her life.

Plot twists and turns make this show interesting to watch within each episode. The Vampire Diaries is a must-see for those who live for suspense and romance.