New semester, new goals

January began a new semester, encouraging students to develop new academic goals.

Senior Britney Corbett mixes the ingredients for her first recipe since beginning Independent Study.

Goals can range from mild trivialities to serious accomplishments. A mild goal could be transferring to a fun class or taking a class with a friend. Serious goals span from managing new classes to taking harder classes in order to raise GPAs.
Senior Aaron Hill has high goals for the new semester.
“I want to raise my GPA to a 4.0…getting a five on my AP Chemistry Exam is something I’m hoping for accomplish,” said Hill.
Having a goal is only the first step to achieving it. Setting up a plan for a goal can help a person to focus in on the issue and be more successful in completing it. Junior Whitnee McGowan is very confident that she will get her desired grade, a 100%, in Chemistry.

“I will get it!…I have been working very hard,” said McGowan. By getting the grade, McGowan will be a few steps closer to becoming a doctor.

Photo by: Maggie Shade. Aiming for success: Whitney McGowan has a goal for this A+ grade.

There are many ways that a person can accomplish a goal. Develop a step-by-step plan for the time period in which you want to complete the goal, make sticky notes to remind yourself, and have your friends give you positive reinforcement along the way.

Photo by: Maggie Shade. Students are planning ahead for this semester.
   In the several months until then, following these tips can lead to many positive aspects for one’s future.