Varsity Volleyball Smacks Down at Dig Pink

This is the Dig Pink shirt logo

By Ally Waltemyer, Commentary Editor

Varsity volleyball players defeated Kennard-Dale in three games at the Dig Pink game on Tuesday, October 10.

The Susquehannock Warriors beat the Kennard-Dale Rams with final scores of 25-7, 25-8, and 25-16.

Senior and defensive specialist Amber Bortner loves the yearly rivalry with Kennard-Dale.

“When we played them last time this year we also won in three,” Bortner said. “How we usually play against them is the first two games we usually win no problem but the third game they always give us a huge fight and it gets really fun and the crowd is cheering so I think it is fun to play them.”

The team has a hitting average of .158 and a serving average of 90 percent.

Head volleyball coach, Darla Pennewill said the team is meeting their serving and hitting goals.

“As our season progresses, we are now consistently reaching this goal,” Pennewill said. “This is a credit to our team persevering and working together as a team.  As a result of our increased hitting percentage, we are now scoring more points, remaining competitive, and winning more matches.”

Pennewill is proud of how her team is able to work with each other and attributes their win against Kennard-Dale to that teamwork.

“I’m just very pleased with how the group is…working together, how they’re welcoming the young girls who haven’t played varsity before,” Pennewill said. “And that’s allowing them to feel comfortable with the upperclassmen and continue to work hard and be a strong contributor because that’s just gonna help the program grow.”

A sizable crowd made of parents, staff, and students attended the game.

Bortner was pleased with the number of people who attended.

“For usual games, we have all of the parents come…and grandparents and family, which I am so thankful for but usually our student section is like less than 10 people,” Bortner said. “…Last night we had people there for JV and Varsity and it was huge and they were cheering and it was great.”

Junior Allyson Koller was one of the members of the audience.

“All the girls played really, really well,” Koller said. “It was definitely a good game to watch.”

Pennewill hopes the team will advance in the season.

“We need to get by those like right now we are battling third, so every match is critical because we want to continue the season by going to counties and enter districts,” Pennewill said. “And right now we are close to meeting both of those goals.”