Girl’s lacrosse intense preseason already showing results

Coming back from a 9-5 season, a short run in Districts, and a new coach, the girls lacrosse team is already back at it with the start of an intense preseason.

Coach Steve Marshner, the previous boys lacrosse coach, has already generated noticeable results in the team’s skill set from these grueling workouts.

Senior Brittany Corbett, with her 4th and final year of lacrosse soon approaching, definitely sees a difference from last year’s preseason to this year.

“This year’s preseason consists on a lot more working out and lifting weights,” said Corbett. “Everyone is better conditioned with this being our first time in the weight room.”

Sophomore Katelyn Welch, in her 12th year of playing lacrosse, agrees with Corbett on her views of the preseason.

“We are all more involved as a team and [are] bonding a lot. This preseason is a lot tougher than last year, but way more fun,” said Welch.

Workouts for the girls lacrosse team consist of a combination of lifting weights, squats, medicine balls, core work, and leg work; the team is also focusing on bettering their stick work, agilities, and footwork. With the intensity and hard work that the team is putting in, they hope to have great payoffs during their season.
Many of the players believe that their preseason workouts will help them throughout the season.

“Preseason workouts will make the team stronger both physically and mentally, and make us have better unity on and off the field,” said Welch.

Coming into their 2013 season, all girls on the team would have to agree that their biggest opponent is definitely the Kennard Dale Rams. The rivalry is very strong, but the Rams always seem to pull out a win in the end.

“Kennard Dale always wins. They’ve always seemed to be better conditioned and have better unity, but this year we got ‘em,” said Corbett.

To any girls looking to tryout for the 2013 team, Welch has some advice.

“Try your hardest and never give up. Lacrosse is a hard sport to pick up, but so easy when you get the hang of it. It’ll come to you eventually, and you’ll have a lot of fun when playing,” said Welch.

The team is already underway in their workouts and plans to keep up with their current pace until the season begins.