Knowledge of languages gaining popularity

Señora Walker watches as Alex Miller and Emily Preston play Mata-Moscas to practice Spanish vocabulary.

Despite the difficulties and challenges of learning a second language, many second-language speakers agree that it is rewarding.

One reason is that many careers are available for multilingual people.

Spanish teacher Heather Walker named some easily.

“Tourism, social work– whether it’s medical or law enforcement, legal [instances], anything that goes with communication, politics, and military [situations],” said Walker.

In daily life, Walker explained that knowing another language is unique. “It is kind of uncommon. I like knowing something somewhat different, private. It’s like a code,” said Walker.

Being bilingual can help students, too.

Senior Tobias Thiese is a German foreign exchange student at Susquehannock that knows the benefits of another language well.

“It should help me a lot,” said Thiese. “If I would choose to go anywhere else to study, it’s easier.”

Both Walker and Thiese had helpful tips for picking up another language- travel.

Walker, in fact, took two trips abroad as part of her Spanish education. “First was Mexico City, Mexico, and second was Caracas, Venezuela,” said Walker.

Thiesse had a similar suggestion.

“ Go to the country where they speak that language. Also, talk to your friends that can speak it,” suggested Thiese.

In addition, Thiese aspires to travel around the world after he finishes his education.

Knowing both German and English, two languages that are commonly spoken worldwide, would allow him to do so more easily.

On the other hand, Abdallah Bangura, who is from Sierra Leone, Africa, knows a language that is uncommon in the world- Kiro.

Being an aspiring soccer professional, Bangura has a specific goal in mind as to how he will use his mother language, Kiro, and his second language, English.

“I’m going to play soccer,” said Bangura. “If you’re playing soccer, you [have] to know [multiple] languages.”

Bangura gave an example of when knowing multiple languages would be helpful.

“If people go to your country, they could choose you to represent them. If a team comes to a certain country, they can ask you to go with them to translate,” said Bangura.

For students learning a second language, Walker has a simple suggestion.

“If you don’t use it, you lose it,” said Walker.

Practice is immeasurably vital when learning another language.

Despite the time and dedication it takes to learn a new language, it can be worthwhile in the future for someone’s career or travel plans.