Susquehannock Students Earn National Recognition in Scholastic Arts & Writing Contest

March 22, 2017

Susquehannock students Emily Heiser and Ian Achterberg, who recently earned recognition at the national level of the 2017 Scholastic Arts & Writing Awards.

Two Susquehannock students recently won medals in the national level of the 2017 Scholastic Arts & Writing Awards.  This is the second consecutive year that Susquehannock students have earned recognition at the national level for writing.

Freshman Emily Heiser earned a silver medal for her critical essay “Africa:  What Could Have Been.”  Freshman Ian Achterberg earned a gold medal for his essay “The Meaning of Metathesiophobia (Fear of Change).”  As a gold medal winner, Achterberg is invited to the 2017 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards National Ceremony on June 8, 2017 at Carnegie Hall in New York City, NY.

“Through this experience, I learned many things, like how to craft a nice piece of writing and how to edit it.  I learned what my strengths and weaknesses are,” Achterberg said.  “Overall, the whole process of winning the award has and will help me every day in school,” he said.

“This year, more than 330,000 works of art and writing were submitted to the contest, and less than one percent were recognized at the national level,” said Timothy Groth, Susquehannock High School English teacher. “Congratulations to Emily and Ian on such an impressive accomplishment,” Groth said.