Orchestra Puts on a Different Type of Concert

By Kelcie Baker, Reporter

The orchestra students put on their annual chamber concert on March 9 at the Zion Lutheran Church.

The concert was seen as a huge success as the church was packed with people having to stand in the back since all of the seats were filled due to the large turnout.

The chamber concert is different from the typical concerts that are put on throughout the year since the students perform in small groups instead of a large ensemble.

Mr. Cooper works with the students on their chamber piece. Photo by: Scott Kaliszak.

Junior Julia McKenzie thinks that the isolation of the parts is what makes the chamber concert so different.

“Everyone is responsible for their specific part since it is a smaller group… they can’t rely on someone else to know the part,” said McKenzie. “It’s a really fun experience since we get to pick the music.”

Every year, the orchestra brings in an outside professional to work with the students on their pieces before the concert. This year, composer and trombonist Derek Cooper was brought in to work with the students.

The students performed the piece Visions of a Prayer that was composed by Cooper as a whole ensemble.

The Chamber concert was widely appreciated by the audience, with some pieces even receiving standing ovations.

The orchestra’s next performance will be their final concert of the year on May 3 in the high school auditorium at 7 pm.