A little G.I.Y. for this holiday season

Wake up and smell the pancakes.  A simple gift would be breakfast in bed, there are great recipes all over the internet for festive pancakes, such as these pumpkin spice ones
Wake up and smell the pancakes. A simple gift would be breakfast in bed, there are great recipes all over the internet for festive pancakes, such as these pumpkin spice ones

‘Tis the season of giving, no matter what faith one believes in, but, that being said, how much giving can one’s wallet take?

There are plenty G.I.Y., gift-it-yourself, ideas to use for making some thoughtful presents.

For those particularly creative, use any talents to your advantage. 

Baked goods are always wanted. Decorating cute cupcakes or cookies will leave any gift receiver smiling and full.

Technology teacher Garth Hoffman has learned to use his abilities for gift giving with his wife.

“I’ve made furniture for her before,” said Hoffman. “She loved it!”

Getting help from others to make the perfect gift is just fine.  Santa has his elves, and you have Google and YouTube.

For a guy, whether it’s a dad, friend, or boyfriend a handmade deck of cards is perfect.

Cutout pieces of hard-tact or just really thick paper into the appropriate number of card shaped pieces.

Decorate the fronts of each card with the appropriate values, including kings, queens, and jokers.

Then, on the back is where the fun starts.  Create a design for the deck, and decorate each back of the card with the new design, making a whole deck of beautifully personalized playing cards.

The cards of course, could also fit a girl, but a more unisex gift is a just a killer mixed CD.

As much as no one wants to admit it, they all love the classic CD with great track after track.

Get on iTunes, or RealPlayer, create a playlists of the perfect songs for whomever one has in mind, and burn away.

Wal-Mart sells small or large packs of blank CD’s that are perfect for the job; they even have cases allowing whomever is receiving the gift able to personalize the art work.

Sophomore Hannah Wistort is no newbie to the idea of skipping the shopping lines and going the gift-it-yourself route.

“It’s what I do every Christmas,” said Wistort. “It’s  a lot more personal.  You took the time to make it for them.”

One channel streaming great gift ideas for girls is missglamorazzi.  She has a G.I.Y. series herself, only her “G” stands for glam.

Under this tag are bracelets, no sew tote bags, peter-pan collar necklaces, and makeup brush holder tutorials.

All of these are ridiculously easy, and fast.  Also, the way she includes vocals, written instructions, and videos makes it easy for anyone to learn, no matter what the situation.

Make gift giving fun and easy this year with these simple ideas, think outside the box, and remember sometimes simple is better.

Even those lacking in creativity, or artistic talent can plan a special dinner or make a hot chocolate mix that’s sure to warm anyone’s spirits.