Artist of the Week: Kelly Doogan

By Dan McNair, Video Editor

Photo courtesy of Kelly Doogan.
Kelly’s artwork. Photo courtesy of Kelly Doogan.

“It’s how she expresses herself. She expresses herself within her art because the color schemes reflect…other people however she feels on that day. Her art technique is really just an extension of the feelings she has on a daily basis,” said Doogan’s friend senior Hailey Martinez.

Doogan’s compelling artwork has secured her spot as artist of the week.

When she graduates at the end of this year, Kelly will have taken Intro to Art, Painting I, and 2-D/3-D design.

Senior Danielle Moore has watched Kelly develop her skills as an artist for several years.

“I’m honestly really impressed at Kelly’s growth as an artist. Her focus when she paints or illustrates doesn’t always lie in making an easy, visually appealing piece, but she really tries to convey emotion or at the very least her art takes more than one glance to appreciate,” said Moore.

Aside from creating many projects throughout art teacher Wesley Myers’ classes, Doogan is heavily involved in many of the extracurricular activities that Susky has to offer.

Kelly, who is currently a senior, is also a varsity volleyball player, lacrosse player, National Honor Society member, and a Get Real Day leader.

Girl’s Volleyball, which recently ended with the close of the fall sports season, has always been a major part of Doogan’s high school career.

“Volleyball has taught me leadership and how to communicate well with others. It definitely helped me learn how to organize my time and being open to getting involved with other things. I kinda learned how to manage my time better because I’ve been juggling volleyball and school work back and forth for so many years,” said Doogan.

Kelly has been a member of the girls’ volleyball program for all four years of high school and has played varsity during her sophomore, junior, and senior years.

Photo courtesy of Kelly Doogan

Her future plans include attending West Chester University  in Pennsylvania to study Psychology, yet another area of school which has piqued Doogan’s interest.

Photo courtesy of Kelly Doogan.

“I want to major in psychology, so that I can help other people. I really want to understand why people think what they think and do what they do, which is what psychology is all about. I’ve had a lot of situations that I’ve been through in the past where a working knowledge of psychology would’ve made my life a whole lot easier, so I want to help other people work through the same situations,” said Doogan.