Vine Meets its End: 2013-2016

Vine Meets its End: 2013-2016

By Jacob Ness, Sports Editor

In 2013, an app was created under the name of Vine. The concept, short six-second videos, seemed silly at first, but the app escalated into a social media phenomenon. It was a  place where many would go to find short comedic boosts to their lives.

Vine began to find most of its prevalence on Twitter. It started a new branch of comedy, in which the jokes were made with high efficiency and quality. But on October 27th, a bombshell was dropped on social media. It was announced that Vine would be shut down within the coming months.

”I was shocked, honestly,” said Jacob Lynch. “Vine has provided many us with many good laughs.” It’s safe to say that this was the same reaction held by people all across the internet.

Even Nick Stem, who was never the biggest fan of Vine, admits that his social media experience will change without it. “There was a bunch of cringy material,” said Stem, “but there are small parts of it, such as sports, that I’ll miss.” Many feel the same way that Stem does. It is fair to admit that many people who created Vines for a living made some material that was rather unappealing to watch.

On the other hand, however, there were many classics that have become mainstream across the internet. It’s safe to say that Vine has left a lasting impact on students and people across all social media. It will indeed be missed.