Field trip to DENTSPLY teaches students how to manage money

Ready to Work: Finance students that went on the field trip are ready to go into the work force. Photo by: Travis Crane

Finance students got the chance to see what it’s like to “pay the bills” when they went on a field trip to DENTSPLY in York  on Thursday, December 6.Students in teacher Kellin McCullough’s finance class were able to experience Junior Achievement (JA) Finance Park.  JA Finance Park is a simulation where students receive their own lifestyle situation and have to pay their bills and manage their money wisely.  Senior Lauren Mudrock enjoyed the trip.  “It was nice being able to see what it would be like if I worked in a building like that, or business [like that],” said Mudrock.  Students were able to choose their cars and had to choose them wisely, so they would be less likely to go into debt after paying all of their bills.  Senior Dalton Carter was able to stay out of debt.  “I chose a Toyota Camry,” said Carter.  “[I had] seven dollars [left over after paying the bills].”

In addition to the simulation, the students went on a tour of DENTSPLY, a company that produces dental products, according to dentsply.com.  McCullough liked that the simulation went well with the curriculum in class.  “My favorite part was seeing the students make the connections between what we’re doing in class to a different scenario,” McCullough said.  “And, as a teacher, that’s really important for them to see those connections, and they were definitely…applying everything that they have learned so far.”  In May, McCullough’s other finance class will be going on this field trip as well.

Sources:

-http://www.dentsply.com/