How to relieve stress in everyday life

There are ways students can escape the stress of everyday life- especially stress from high school.

According to lifebound.com, one of the most important keys to staying stress free is to not procrastinate.

Seems easy enough,yet so many students still do it. Sure some classes give more homework on a more difficult level than others, but that doesn’t mean it should be treated differently.

The main purpose of procrastination is to relax in order to relieve stress, but it results in two times as much stress from the delay.

Also putting the homework off until the last minute means it is not being done as well as it could have been, resulting in a lower grade.

Senior Leah Deter and freshman Nick Chamberlin both suffer from procrastination.

“I try to hang out with friends or listen to music when I’m stressed,” said Chamberlin. “I also like to talk to someone if I’m very stressed to help me calm down.”

Deter also has trouble focusing in classes like AP Biology because it is toward the end of the day.

“Balance school with extracurriculars like sports,” said Deter, “but make sure you have your priorities straight.”

Another key is managing time effectively.

Many students get stressed because they have a lot of homework, but not a lot of time. To make this easier one should make a time sheet.

A time sheet will help one organize how much time each subject will receive in order of importance, this way one understands that the work needs to be done in the time allotted. Don’t forget to leave a little time in between for a little relaxation!

Lastly, the key that most people have probably overlooked is writing it down.

The students are given planners for a reason; so they can write down their homework so they do not forget. Some students ignore this and try to remember the homework off of the top of their heads. This can make doing homework much more difficult, especially if the homework is not remembered in the first place.

English teacher Katherine Wilt believes “Every student should keep an agenda in order to help stay organized.”

When one remembers they had homework, but not what to do, it can be extremely stressful knowing that something could have been done about it.

A group hiking at Mt. Four Girls photo By Farm (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
   In simple terms this is basically staying organized with one’s work.

Wilt also has stress with school, even being a teacher.

Wilt will stop grading tests and do something enjoyable, like spending time with her family, hiking, or going outside to help relieve stresses of the day.

Her advice to students is to stay organized, keep an agenda, don’t procrastinate, and take time from schoolwork so one doesn’t get burned out.

“You need to set your goals and prioritize,” said Wilt. “But you also need to take time off so you have the energy to get it done later.”

Sources: http://www.lifebound.com/blog/students/3-ways-every-high-schooler-can-stay-stress-free/