Week 13 finishes with a bang, play off list started

Let the games begin. The stands are filling up as the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers prepare to face off in week 13. Photo credit: Rob Pugaczewski

With week thirteen of the NFL season coming to a close, it can be hard to keep up with what teams are winning and what teams are losing,

Defense. The stands are full and the players are out on the field as the clock ticks to see her will win this rival game. Photo Credit: Rob Pugaczewski

making staying up-to-date even worse is all the lingo and sports talk that some of us just can’t keep up with.

In simple terms it comes down to who’s winning and who’s losing.

Some local favorites around this area include the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers.  The Ravens pulled out a nail-biting win against the San Diego Chargers during week 12.  A single field goal secured the score for the Ravens with just seconds to spare in overtime, finishing the game with a 16-13 score.

Senior Erin Baker was happy about the win but thought the game could have gone better.

“I think it was ridiculous that it was a close game,” said Baker. “The players took it easy thinking it would just be an easy win.”

This away game win made the Ravens 9-3 for the season, 9 wins and just 3 losses.

Not faring quite as well are the Pittsburgh Steelers, holding onto a 7-5 season that included their loss against the Cleveland Browns with a 14-20 score last week.

These two local rivals show down this past week 13 as the Steelers played on the Raven’s home field this past Sunday.

The Black and Yellow did overpower the birds when the game ended with a starting 23-20 score.  It was only seconds that gave the Steelers their win, kicking a field goal just as the clock hit zero.

English teacher Heath Hallman is an avid Steelers fan that was watching the game.

“The win against the Ravens was a big win the for the team,” says Hallman. “It gives the team momentum for going into the last four games…I look forward to them playing the Ravens in the play offs.”

For play-offs, there are two groups of five, four outstanding teams and a fifth wild card contender, making 10 teams total with the NFC and AFC.

The two top teams for both are the Atlanta Falcons with 11-1 and Houston Texans with the same season record.

Rounding out the NFC is San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, and the Chicago Bears fighting to hold the wildcard.

The AFC finishes their top five with the New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, and Indianapolis Colts as the wildcard spot.

Junior Ben Barshinger is excited to see the Ravens making it so far this year.

“They’re doing better than last year,” said Barshinger. “They seem to be working really hard and going really far.”

The Pittsburgh Steelers are right behind Indianapolis for the fifth spot and could take the lead with another win.

One thing is for sure, the season is not over yet and with such close team stats, wildcard teams and even those with a for sure play-off spot have at least a few tough games left to see who comes out on top.

Sources:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/sort/winPercent/order/true