Study abroad programs benefit students in the long run

Photo By: Gina Corey
The Royal Palace in Spain is one tourist site one could visit on a study abroad program.

Many students have plans to travel the world after graduation, and now, with college study abroad programs, students are able to travel the world all while getting their college degree.

For those who intend on continuing their education, but still want to experience all that the world has to offer, studying abroad could be a great choice.

Each college has a different policy for their study abroad program, and each offers different destinations for students of various majors.

The first thing to do is research. If studying abroad is an interest for one, make sure to look into the prospective college’s study abroad program during one’s college search. First, look for a program that will benefit one’s major. If more than one program benefits the area of study, pick the country that most excites one to visit.

Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and there are many academic, career, and personal benefits in making the decision to take a semester or two abroad.

One can get college credits without delaying one’s graduation date. Colleges will award a study abroad student credits for the classes taken abroad, allowing one to gain a global education that will be purposeful for one’s major.

When applying for graduate school, having a study abroad on one’s application could give one a competitive advantage. Admission officers know that studying abroad allows students to adapt to unfamiliar places, learn from different teaching styles, effectively communicate with multiple groups, and observe a willingness to work hard and test one’s comfort zones.

Furthermore, studying abroad gives students the chance to either learn a foreign language or apply the skills they have learned in their foreign language classes in real life situations.

Through studying abroad, students will be exposed to the various cultures of their destinations, allowing them to understand and effectively communicate with the native people.

Career-wise, a study abroad program will look great on a resume. It will show prospective jobs that one has an understanding of and can communicate with people from different cultures.

Studying abroad will give one a chance to meet and interact with new people. One may even make lasting friends during their experience.

Studying abroad could be a once in a lifetime experience to leave the country and experience new things for yourself.

This is something I hope to take advantage of during my college years and is also something I believe would give me an advantage in my schooling and in my career.

Sources:

http://www.diversityabroad.com/study-abroad-personal-benefits