New Teachers are Welcomed to Susky

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Five new teachers and two new librarians have joined the Susquehannock staff this year.

Stephen Wiles

Social Studies teacher Stephen Wiles is excited to teach 11th and 12th grade students this year. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
Social Studies teacher Stephen Wiles is excited to teach 11th and 12th grade students this year. Photo by Ariel Barbera

After graduating Cumberland Valley High School and moving on to get a degree at Towson University, Stephen Wiles was inspired to become a teacher after working for an environmental company in Maryland. He attended Millersville to acquire his teaching certification and started his twenty-two years of teaching.

“Every day is new; every day is different. Interacting with students is always fun. It gives a new perspective,” said Wiles. “After a year or two after college, I realized I wanted to do something more rewarding, and that’s what inspired me to go back and get my teaching certification. And I loved school.”

Wiles originally taught in Hanover before coming to Susquehannock. Now he’s a new social studies teacher and teaches junior and senior classes.

“I do coach football here, as well, so it’s nice to see the players during the day and having a class with them,” said Wiles. “It’s nice to be in one place. Getting to know all of the faces is a new challenge. I feel like a new teacher all over again.”

Kelly Fitzpatrick

Math teacher Kelly Fitzpatrick enjoys meeting her new students and getting help from her fellow teachers. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

https://youtu.be/78aAQqZB88A

Teacher Kelly Fitzpatrick  has always enjoyed her favorite subject, new geometry. After graduating from Shaler High School in Pittsburgh and getting a teaching degree at the California University of Pennsylvania, Fitzpatrick was ready to begin a career she would love.

“I’ve always loved math, and I loved helping people, so it’s kind of the best job possible to combine the two things that I love,” said Fitzpatrick. “Also, you get to know the students and teachers really well, and just helping them learn new things is great.”

Her first year at Susquehannock will be her third year as a teacher overall. Fitzpatrick taught at two separate schools in Pittsburgh before moving on to work at Susky.

“I think [Susquehannock] is a great school to be part of. I’m excited to just learn all of the new things that I will this year,” said Fitzpatrick. “Everyone has been so helpful and friendly so far, and I feel really comfortable.”

Abigail Grove

Health teacher Abigail Grove is excited to work with the students of Susquehannock. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
Health teacher Abigail Grove is excited to work with the students of Susquehannock. Photo by Ariel Barbera

https://youtu.be/CeGUEvtO8QM

For health teacher Abigail Grove, interacting with the students is the favorite part of her day. After graduating from Liberty University, Grove pursued a career in teaching math and physical education. She has taught for five years in Baltimore and has started her sixth year of teaching at Susquehannock.

“[I’m] very excited to be working with high school students and to be able to see the potential that they have,” said Grove.

Grove began her career in Baltimore City by working as a teacher at two different middle schools. Before starting her career as a full time teacher, she used to work at a daycare.

“I wanted to be a teacher every since I can remember, probably since Kindergarten,” said Grove.

Andy Warren

History teacher Andy Warren is excited to teach 9th grade students this year at Susky. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

History teacher Andy Warren is a new teacher at Susquehannock, but he’s been working in Southern York County for a while now. After eleven years of working at Southern Middle School, Warren is now teaching ninth grade U.S. History at Susky.

“I’m excited at getting an addition to teaching history, and teaching ninth grade U.S. History. I’m excited to get involved in other activities around the school, such as Debate Club and Aevidum,” said Warren. “Prior to this position, I taught seventh grade World History, as well as eighth grade American History for the past ten years at Southern Middle School.”

Warren graduated high school at York Suburban High School and moved on to graduate from Penn State University. Certain teachers in his life helped inspire him to become a teacher.

“I had influential teachers in my life. I had a teacher I had as a student in York Suburban, where every class was very exciting, and he was an awesome story teller. He was funny and engaging, and he made it a cool experience to look forward going to his class every day,” said Warren. “My favorite part about being a teacher is being able to work with students each day, and each day is different. It’s not the same lesson every day. There’s a lot of variety.”

Angela Blanteno

English teacher Angela Blanteno is ready to connect with her new students and is excited to work in a nice environment. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
English teacher Angela Blanteno is ready to connect with her new students and is excited to work in a nice environment. Photo by Ariel Barbera

After graduating high school in 1994 and moving on to get her degrees in college, English teacher Angela Blanteno is now a new member of the Susquehannock staff. Blanteno enjoys working with her students and learning about all of their different personalities. This year is the start of her seventeenth year working as a teacher.

“I’m excited for working in a positive environment with super nice people and great kids,” said Blanteno. “When I was nineteen, I started coaching field hockey, and that was the first time I started working with teenagers.”

Blanteno earned her undergraduate degree at York College, and she earned her Master’s Degree at McDaniel college. During her time in college, she worked for retail and soon became interested in becoming a teacher. She taught at Red Lion High School for the past sixteen years before moving on to Susquehannock and is certified in teaching social studies and special education, as well.

Megan Hunt

Librarian clerk Megan Hunt is excited to help the students at Susky. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
Librarian clerk Megan Hunt is excited to help the students at Susky. Photo by Ariel Barbera

New librarian clerk Megan Hunt is excited to start her new year of working at Susquehannock. She graduated from Kennard Dale High School in Fawn Grove and continued her education at Harford Community College, getting a teaching degree.

“I like being able to read books and help students,” said Hunt. “[Susquehannock] seemed to be like a nice place to work.”

After graduating college, Hunt moved on to work as a special aid teacher for students in Maryland. She then found the opportunity to work as a librarian at Susquehannock and enjoys the company of many books and friendly students. She works as a librarian clerk in the last half of the school day.

Linda Rouse

Librarian clerk Linda Rouse is excited to interact with the students more. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
Librarian clerk Linda Rouse is excited to interact with the students more. Photo by Ariel Barbera

New librarian clerk Linda Rouse has been known to students at Susquehannock as a substitute for nine years, and now she’ll be known as the librarian. Rouse grew up and graduated high school in Florida before moving on to get a degree at Notre Dame University.

“I like interacting with the students and the teachers,” said Rouse. “I just like all the great people that I’m working with. All the great teachers, and all the great students. Also, my children went here. It was a great environment to be in.”

Before becoming a substitute and a librarian at Susquehannock, Rouse worked as a chemist for a company, and she even owned her own gymnastics business. She also started her teaching career at the Shrewsbury Christian Academy after working as a chemist and before working at Susquehannock.