Southern York County School District Programs Named Exemplary

May 17, 2016

Two Southern York County School District programs were selected by Shippensburg University as ‘Exemplary Programs.’ The Shippensburg University Study Council recognized the ‘Steam into History’ program at the District’s elementary schools and the ‘Utilizing Data to Transform Physical Education K-12’ program at District schools.

Teachers from the Southern York County School District recently featured these programs and received awards at Shippensburg University’s annual ‘Exemplary Program’ presentation. During the event, outstanding programs from across Pennsylvania were recognized.

The ‘Steam into History’ program provides fifth grade students the opportunity to learn about 19th century life and the role the railroad played in the growth of small local communities. Through a partnership, the program combines the School District, PeoplesBank, Steam into History Nonprofit Organization, and the Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society.

During the program, students stayed after school to learn about the historical impact of the bank, train, and railroad to the community. They also boarded the train for a trip from New Freedom to Glen Rock, toured PeoplesBank, and the Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society.

Likewise, the second District program to be honored as exemplary collects, monitors, and tracks growth in the area of physical fitness for students in grades K-12. The data-based focus provides students the ability to understand fitness and health concepts as they also track their health-related habits and behaviors. Students have the ability to set goals and produce reports as they increase their awareness and motivation for a lifetime of personal fitness and well-being.

“A huge congratulations goes out to Dr. Kim Hughes, our health and physical education teachers, and our grade five teachers for initiating and supporting such innovative and meaningful programs for our students,” Superintendent Dr. Sandra Lemmon said.