Schools Battle, Raise Money for Scholarship Program

March 21, 2016

Administrators, teachers, staff, and students from the Southern York County School District tossed egg balls, threw whiffle balls, shot baskets, dressed as snowmen, and were shoved across the gym floor as human bowling balls, all to raise money for the Southern York County School District Foundation’s scholarship program.

The eighth annual Battle of the Buildings raised more than $6,000 for student scholarships. Teams from each of the schools and a newly formed team of high school students competed in various races and events, while fans packed the Susquehannock High School gym and cheered for their teams. The events consisted of Up a Creek with a Plunger, Ping-Pong Derby, Big Egg Toss, Let’s Build a Snowman, Basket Toss, and Human Bowling.

Two teams won the Battle of the Buildings’ competition, including an elementary and a secondary winner. Southern Elementary School and Southern Middle School finished with the most points and captured this year’s Battle of the Buildings’ trophies. Friendship Elementary School’s Fearless team also earned the Spirit Award for the event.

District Athletic Director and event coordinator Chuck Abbott thanked all of the volunteers who helped make this year’s Battle of the Buildings a success.

“A very special thank you goes to all of those who made the Battle of the Buildings a tremendous success,” Abbott said. “Through the efforts of all, a record amount of money was raised with $6,649 for the Southern York County Foundation to benefit our students in the District.”

In the eight years since the inception of the Battle of the Buildings, the District has raised more than $36,700 for student scholarships, he said.

“The money raised will allow students to follow their dreams.” Superintendent Dr. Sandra Lemmon said. “What makes Southern a place like no other is the support for all students in need, the enthusiasm, and the spirit from the community.”