Susquehannock Students to Open and Operate New School Store

March 21, 2016

Beginning with the 2016-17 school year, Susquehannock High School students will open and operate a new school store.

High school teachers Tom Laure and Kellin McCullough were awarded a $1,000 Innovation Grant from the York County Alliance for Learning (YCAL), which will be used to help fund, plan, operate, and manage the Susky Station.

“We feel so privileged to have the support of YCAL and the District to start this new venture,” McCullough said.

Laure’s Life Skills Support students and McCullough’s Entrepreneurship students will collaborate to run the store. The Susky Station will offer beverages, snacks, supplies, and apparel.

Students will apply the skills acquired in the classroom to a real world setting. They will maintain the store throughout the school day and into the evening for community members.

Life Skills students will learn job related skills that may help prepare them for work after they graduate. They will operate the cash register, greet customers as they enter and exit the store, and maintain the store’s cleanliness. The business students will in turn utilize their marketing, management, and financial analysis skills within the store.

“The grant will not only provide a learning opportunity for the Life Skills and Entrepreneurship students, but it will also fill a need in our high school for all students and staff to enjoy the experience of having a school store accessible,” Laure said.