Feild Amazes Audiences One Musical Note at a Time

By Kelcie Baker, Reporter

Sophomore Justin Feild amazed the judges with his piano talents at the music department’s concerto

Feild celebrates after finding out he had won the competition. Photo by Michaela Bryan

competition on February 17.

Students auditioned for the chance to have a featured solo in their ensemble’s spring concerts at the high school.

Preparing a concerto takes a lot of time and dedication. Feild explains how he prepared for his audition.

Screenshot 2016-03-16 at 10.48.49 AM
The Tri-M Music Honors Society has been advertising the competition since the beginning of the year. Photo by Kelcie Baker

“I had been talking to my piano teacher, and we decided on Mozart’s Piano Concerto No.12 in A major so that I could be accompanied by the orchestra,” said Feild. “I started working on it right away, so I could be as prepared as possible for the competition. I had about two months to get ready.”

Feild has been playing the piano for a majority of his life, along with also being very talented with the cello.

Orchestra director Zach Levi got to listen to the piano concerto and was very impressed with the performance.

“There were a lot of talented students that auditioned, but Justin’s performance was very impressive,” said Levi. “He executed it fantastically and performed extraordinarily well.”

Senior Kristen Zak is a part of Tri M, which is the honors music society that hosted the concerto competition. Zak explains what made Feild stand out from the other competitors.

“Justin played very musically, which is difficult to do on the piano,” said Zak. “It felt like he put the most feeling and emotion into it out of all of the musicians.”

Feild is working diligently to perfect his solo for the spring concert. Make sure to come and support him at the concert on April 20 at 7 p.m. in the high school auditorium.