The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

March Madness is Here

Barack Obama fills put bracket for March Madness. By Pete Souza (White House photographer) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Matthew Schoedel, Reporter

Basketball fans, get your pencils and erasers ready to fill out your brackets for March Madness.

A bracket for March Madness. By frankieleon from Kentucky, usa (2015 JW Marriott Bracket) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

This pictures a bracket for March Madness. By frankieleon from Kentucky, usa (2015 JW Marriott Bracket) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

From the high school looking gyms of NJIT to Madison Square Garden, teams are finishing up games in championship week, where teams try locking their rankings and preparing for the big tournament.

The 2016 tournament should host great talent, such as Melo Trimble of Maryland, Grayson Allen of Duke, Marcus Paige of UNC, and many more.

Many teams have come out of the gates strong this season such as Kansas, Oklahoma, Duke, Michigan State.

With all this talent, it could lead to such an amazing tournament for basketball fans to watch.

Last year, fans got to witness the 14 seed UAB knocking off the third seed Iowa 60-59 and moments like RJ Hunter leading an underdog Georgia State University to beat top dog Baylor.

Probably one of the biggest surprises of this season for college basketball fans was the decline

University of Kentucky. By Kentucky Wildcats (University of Kentucky Graphic Standards) [CC BY 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)], via Wikimedia Commons

of Kentucky, as they currently sit ranked at 22 compared to first last year.  

Last season, the Wildcats finished with a perfect record but are sitting at 23-8, which is not bad, but definitely not undefeated.

Every year a “Perfect Bracket Challenge” is put out, which means if anyone who signs up for it actually gets a perfect bracket (which has never been done before), they get one million dollars.

It sounds like a pretty good prize for picking the games correctly.

It’s possible that there could be more upsets in the first round like last year.

Many teams have already clinched a tournament appearance, such as Yale, who is locked in at 13 in the South.

So many teams can go overlooked in the tournament that might go all the way.

In 2014, the 8 seeded Kentucky Wildcats shocked the world and made a magical run to win the tournament behind players like Julius Randle now playing for the Los Angeles Lakers and James Young now playing for the Boston Celtics.

For anyone who wants to create a bracket for March Madness, Yahoo.com has the option to create a bracket and make it available to multiple people.  

A game being played in the final four of the tournament. By Batistaya (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

A game is played in the final four of the tournament. By Batistaya (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons