Just don’t do it!

October 24th was the second code yellow in about two weeks,  a drill that was about an hour-long involving police search dogs.

Announcing the code yellow to vacate the halls, officers walked police dogs through the school and around the parking lot.  Their goal? Find illegal drugs.

A letter was sent home to students saying nothing was found. The question that persists is: who in their right mind brings drugs to school?

Obvious Fact #1: Having illegal drugs is illegal.

Obvious Fact #2: There are sometimes police in the school (not to mention random drug searches like the code yellow).

So, knowing these two things, no one would be dull enough to bring illicit substances to school, right?

Wrong.

In a 2009 national survey of students by the National Center for Education Statistics,  22.7% of students offered, sold, or gave out illegal drugs on school property.  While this is down from 25.4% in 2005, it still means that more than 1 in 5 students received or gave out drugs in school.

In the same national study, 4.6% admit to have smoked marijuana in school.  This does not even consider the number of students who decided not to record their illicit activities in a survey.

Now, maybe I’m just a nun, but this seems a bit high to me.

I am not blind to the fact  that people do drugs, but to bring them into a building where the entire staff keeps an eye out for this sort of shenanigan is a whole other level of naivety.

Rumors are even circulating that there are smoke detectors in the school bathrooms. Between smoke detectors in the bathroom and random drug searches, you are just asking to get caught.

The bottom line is, if you are going be stupid,  keep it out of school, and respect those of the population that want nothing to do with drugs.

Sources:

-Fast Facts: School Crimes, http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=49