Go longboard 2012

Longboarding is frowned upon, just like skateboarding, but people don’t understand how much better and unique it is.

This relaxing past time has been around since the 1950’s when the skateboard was created. People, who originally skateboard, however, tend to look down upon longboarders.

Some skateboarders believe that those whom longboard only do so because they can’t skateboard. These ignorant people fail to realize that it is a completely different style of riding, technique, and skill.

Longboarding, unlike skateboarding, does not consist of kickflips or varials, but carves, colemans and pendys, to name a few.

i.e. A very common pintail longboard. Photo by Yamanbaiia (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
The longboard could be described as an oversize skateboard, and in some cases it is. On the other hand, there are different variations of longboards, such as pintails, dropthroughs, double dropthoughs, and concaves, whereas a skateboard is a skateboard, that’s it.

The difference in riding these two seemingly similar boards is that skateboarding is mostly short bursts of speed to bust out a quick trick, and longboarding is gaining speed in order turn the board sideways and leave your slide marks on an entire street.

Longboarding is a classier form of skateboarding. Longboarders, in most cases, are not riding around the streets trying to grind benches and jump curves. Most longboarders use them for transportation.

In a city where it is almost pointless to even have a car, it is easy to weave in and out of traffic with a nice pintail cruiser. Also with bigger wheels than a skateboard, a longboard’s wheels grab more road, increasing speed and distance between pushes, so the rider is not getting as tired.

It’s not like it is a difficult thing to do. It’s easier to do than skateboarding because it is a larger board which means it is much easier to balance on for those who may not be as coordinated.

Longboards are a multipurpose form of entertainment and transportation! Longboarding is on the rise, with an increase in sales of 43% from 2009-2010. Whether you like going really fast, throwing dirty drifts, or just cruising to your favorite hangout or work, longboarding has something that everyone can enjoy. So get a board and ride already!