Tournament sets tone for Warrior Wrestling

The wrestling team made its way to Donegal High School for a tournament on Saturday, December 19.

With 25 teams in the tournament, senior Mike Younkin saw the value in hiking to it.

“Coach sends us to this tournament to get a feel how districts are because it’s a two-day tournament which is how districts is laid out. Only the starters could go, but unfortunately we had less starters due to grades and injuries,” said Younkin.

The Warriors brought a total of ten wrestlers to the tournament. In relation to their weight class, senior Mike Younkin and sophomore Joey Romjue placed 7th, junior Lee Cook placed 6th,  junior Jack Allred placed 4th and the team placed 15th out of 25 teams with 68 points.

Senior Mike Younkin placed 7th at Donegal's wrestling tournament December 19th. Photo By: Brad Keeney
Senior Mike Younkin placed 7th at Donegal’s wrestling tournament December 19th.
Photo By: Brad Keeney
Sophomore Joey Romjue placed 7th at Donegal's wrestling tournament December 19th. Photo By: Brad Keeney
Sophomore Joey Romjue placed 7th at Donegal’s wrestling tournament December 19th.
Photo By: Brad Keeney
Junior Lee Cook placed 6th at Donegal's wrestling tournament December 19th. Photo By: Brad Keeney
Junior Lee Cook placed 6th at Donegal’s wrestling tournament December 19th.
Photo By: Brad Keeney
Junior Jack Allred placed 4th at Donegal's wrestling tournament December 19th. Photo By: Brad Keeney
Junior Jack Allred placed 4th at Donegal’s wrestling tournament December 19th.
Photo By: Brad Keeney

Younkin sees the team needing to assert itself in various ways in the new year.

“As a team, some of us need more aggression, others just need more experience and getting the moves down and simply just understanding the match… personally, I’d like to work on running a couple moves, I tend to run quicker legs in the back. It’s always frustrating, but you learn,” said Younkin.

Coming home with four placers has given the team high hopes for their next match two weeks from now.