That’s debatable…

The candidates for the upcoming presidential election have recently had their last debate. President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney verbally duked it out on October 3, 16, and 22. Vice President Joe Biden and Congressman Paul Ryan debated on October 11.

Although these events are two hours of the candidates debating on important issues, many question their true value. Senior Alexandra Weaver feels they lack any tide-changing facts.

“You never really get new information,” said Weaver of the debates.

Perhaps their value depends on how much one already knows about the candidates and their plans.

Social Studies teacher Kevin Lawrence, who has watched all of this election’s debates, believes they can be a good source.

“It depends on your starting level of knowledge,” said Lawrence of the debates’ value.

Those who are already knowledgeable may not find any striking changes, while those who are less informed can learn more about candidates’ opinions and methods.

The first debate, concerning domestic policy, was remembered more for the candidates’ manner than discussion.

“I was surprised by how unprepared President Obama seemed to be in the first debate; either [he was] unprepared or nonchalant,” said Lawrence.

Many viewers also mocked Jim Lehrer’s competency as a moderator, and compared him to later ones, Martha Raddatz, Candy Crawley, and Bob Schieffer, who seemed to have control over the discussion.

“[The moderators] have no control,” noted Weaver. “They don’t keep the candidates in line.”

Clearly, debates have flaws, but they may also share valuable information with voters. Still, there are some who cannot stand the arguing and one-upping.

Social Studies teacher Matt Amberman is quick to change the channel after a debate starts.

“I watch about five minutes and that’s all I can take,” admitted Amberman, who finds them argumentative and repetitive.

Perhaps the best advice for this election comes from moderator Bob Schieffer’s mother, who said, “Go vote. It makes you feel big and strong.”