Creative Writing group created

There is a new outlet for students who are ready to share their creative writing with the world, or at least the Susquehannock student community, the Creative Writing group.

At the end of last year, English teacher Tim Groth received several requests for a creative writing club, and realized that Susquehannock has not had a creative writing class for many years.  He formed the Creative Writing Club to fill the gap.

Sophomore Tyler Torgerson brainstorms some ideas during the group’s third meeting. Photo By: Mikayla Mayoryk

There have only been three meetings, but the group all ready has over 20 students.

Sophomore Joy Kato explains her reasons for joining.

“I love to write.  The things I can’t quite [get] out of my mouth I can say on paper,” said Kato. “And I [also] want to try to write a novel.”

She also believes that the atmosphere adds intrigue to the group.

“Everybody talks, and Mr. Groth brings a lot of life to the meetings,” said Kato.

The first meeting was a general review of the rules, but after that, the meetings will follow a general process.  Senior Kyle Dulski explains the cycle from the beginning.

“[Mr. Groth] first gave us a writing exercise and a lot of works from various students,” said Dulski. “We write our own stories, then we submit them to him one week, and we just peer review them the next.”

Mr. Groth believes the writing exercises are a serious asset to students trying to improve their writing.

“Creative writing exercises practice ways of adding more imagery, better descriptions, similes, metaphors, and [other elements],” said Groth.

Groth sees the group as more than chance to talk and to learn about creative writing. He believes it could be the start of a legacy.

“I want them to see this as an opportunity to create something that will last beyond their tenure here,” said Groth. “I would like this initial group to make this their own.”

However, they are not yet an official group, Groth explained.

“We are not an official club, we are working towards that. We just have to find our bearings,” said Groth.

To achieve the title of “club” the group needs bylaws—rules specific to the club—and elected officials such as a president and secretary.

You do not have to be a literary trailblazer to join.  The group is open to anyone with a passion for writing and a willingness to grow as a writer.  The group convenes every Wednesday from 3 to 4 after school in Mr. Groth’s classroom.