Latin Club plans for the 2015-2016 School Year

By Dan McNair, Video Editor

Although not adding anything new to the lineup this year, the Latin Club is continuing the tradition of celebrating Roman culture.

The study of daily Roman life is a significant part of Latin Club and understanding the Latin language. In ancient Rome, festivals and holidays were an important part of religious life for many citizens.

Many of the holidays celebrated in ancient Rome are predecessors to holidays that are celebrated across the world today. Conceptivae were annual holidays that occurred at different times each year such as Easter or Thanksgiving.

Susquehannock’s Latin Club focuses on the celebration of Saturnalia, which was a Staviae, or a celebration that occurs on the same date each year. Saturnalia was the predecessor to modern-day Christmas and was held in honor of the Roman god, Saturn.

In keeping with the Christmas spirit, latin student Chase Summers describes how Latin Club celebrates Saturnalia.

“We’re going to be doing caroling before the holiday break,” said Summers. “We go around to all of the elementary schools and sing common Christmas Carols in Latin to all the students.”

Student Lucas Miller enjoys what Latin Club does for him.

“The club is educational and rad,” said Miller. “We have fun and learn at the same time.”

For more information about meetings and Latin Club, see Lating teacher Marci Krebs in room 209.