Alumni Spotlight – Robert Schefter ‘88

January 2, 2014

Alumni Spotlight - Robert Schefter ‘88

Robert Schefter (known to friends as “Bobby”) refers to his role as president of the SYCSD Board of Directors as “coming full circle.” “When I was in school,” he recalls, “I never even considered what it takes to run a school district. As Board President, every day is a learning experience.  This is one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done.”

Bobby was an outstanding student at Susquehannock, graduating in the top 5% of the class and was a member of the National Honor Society. He was also successful outside of the classroom, serving as class president in his junior and senior years, and earning varsity letters in baseball (left fielder) and football (linebacker and swing back). For his gridiron performance, he earned all-county honors.

If that wasn’t enough to keep him busy and out of trouble (for the most part), he maintained an active regimen of odd jobs that included mowing cemetery lawns, catching chickens, and working the concession stand at the Laurel Race Track in Maryland. This early work ethic carries through his life, and he freely credits his SHS experience for this, particularly his English teachers (Mrs. Schultz, Miss Adams, and Mr. Marks) for instilling this drive. He also credits Mr. Lease and Mr. Alwine for challenging him to always do his best.

Without a doubt, English was his favorite subject. In fact, when he enrolled as a freshman at the University of Delaware, he declared English as his major, concentrating in technical writing, and earned a spot in the honors program. He was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa Academic Honor Society, Sigma Tau Delta (English Honors) and Phi Kappa Phi (Academic Honors).

Again, Bobby gives credit to his time at Susquehannock for his success. He says, “When I started college, I felt like I was ahead of many others in my classes.”

After graduating Cum Laude in 1992, he accepted a position with a defense contractor in Virginia, where he was a technical editor. It was there that he developed an interest in the law and after a year enrolled at Dickinson.

He paid for his education through a combination of student loans and an eclectic mix of part-time work that included loading trucks for UPS, editing medical textbooks, and lifeguarding.

At Dickinson, he was a member of Law Review, became active in the school’s mock trial competition, and earned the privilege of serving as a law clerk in the Cumberland County court system. He also was awarded an externship at the York County District Attorney’s office and was hired there after graduation as an assistant district attorney. These experiences instilled in him a passion for trial work. He loved the life of a trial lawyer.

After a year at the DA’s office, he joined the regional firm of Barley Snyder as an associate attorney in 1997. “I enjoyed my work at the D.A.’s office,” he explains, “But the pressure of paying off student loans was a factor.” Further, he had the opportunity to expand his legal experience in the firm’s Commercial Litigation Department while continuing to hone his courtroom skills.

After five years, he left public practice and took up real estate law with a large local real estate developer and construction firm. It was in this employment that he met Dianne Masimore, who was a member of Southern’s School Board. There was a vacancy and Bobby was interested. While at Barley Snyder, he had been active on several non-profit boards and his terms had expired. He was anxious to continue his public service and in 2002, he was selected to fill Southern’s board vacancy. After a few years he was elected Vice President and in 2007, was elected Board President, a position he has held since.

Most recently, Bobby has returned to private law practice, this time with the Senft Law Firm in York where he is a partner. This is a general practice in which he must draw on all his experience, but he specializes in criminal defense.

Outside of work, Bobby is busy with his young family and with his position on the school board, a job he says he’ll hold as long the public wants him.

Thanks to Bobby Schefter, Class of 1988, for making us Warrior Proud