Alumni Spotlight – Cameron Mitchell ‘37

January 2, 2014

Alumni Spotlight – Cameron Mitchell ‘37

It reads like a movie script. You can easily imagine it on the silver screen: Son of country preacher realizes dream; moves to Hollywood and becomes star. Cameron Mitchell, a proud member of New Freedom High School Class of 1937 lived that dream and by the end of his career listed over 300 Broadway, screen, and television credits spanning six decades.

Cameron was born in Dallastown, Pennsylvania, but moved to the Shrews-bury area as a child when his father   became pastor of the Trinity and Reformed Church on South Main Street. He was Cameron Mitzel then, but later changed his name because of concerns about pursuing an acting career in the war years with a German-sounding name

Cameron became active in local sports and excelled in baseball. He played on town teams as a teenager, even though his sports interests competed with his participation in local theater. His exceptional talent had come to the attention of Helena Hartenstein, who taught French, Latin, and English at New Freedom High School.

With her encouragement and guidance, he appeared in several community productions in the Trail Theater in New Freedom and at the American Legion Theater in York. He even appeared on Broadway in a modern- dress version of Taming of the Shrew while a high school student.

But his baseball talent also drew attention, and he was offered a contract with the Detroit Tigers. Upon graduation, he faced the difficult choice between a baseball career and an acting career.

He chose the latter, and began looking for his big break. He worked in two shows on Broadway before the outbreak of World War II, but to little acclaim.

After his service as a bombardier in the U.S. Army Air Corps, he faced another career decision: continue his military career by attending West Point or return to acting. Again, he chose the latter, moving to Hollywood and getting progressively larger parts in a dozen or so MGM and Columbia movies over four years. His most significant work during this period was with Clark Gable in Homecoming and Command Decision. His first starring role was in the 1949 production of Leather Gloves.

His first serious critical recognition came in 1949 from his role as Happy in the original Broadway production of Death of a Salesman. The production was directed by Elia Kazan, whom Cameron had met at the renowned Actors Studio in New York City where both were original members. Kazan was one of the founding directors and Cameron was among the first acting students. He reprised Happy in the movie version after the show’s successful Broadway run.

His performance attracted the interest of Twentieth Century Fox, where he worked on contract through the early 1950’s, appearing in memorable films like: How to Marry a Millionaire with Marilyn Monroe; Carousel with Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones; Desiree with Marlon Brando; and , No Down Payment with Joanne Woodward and Tony Randall.

These were the early days of television and he guest starred in many major dramas of the decade, including Bonanza, The Untouchables, Wagon Train, Kraft Theater, U.S. Steel Hour, and Studio One.

When the contract era of Hollywood ended in the early 60’s, he began making movies in Europe. The movie industry in France, Germany, Spain, and Italy was in its infant stage and there was a strong market there for U.S actors. Cameron admittedly embarked on this part of his career for the money and the tax-benefit of working abroad. He was cast in starring roles, but his movies were not memorable.

He returned to the United States in 1967 to accept a starring role in Hombre with Paul Newman. He made many other movies after his return, but his career became rooted in television. He was a guest star and limited series regular on many popular shows of the 70’s, including: Mod Squad, McCloud, The FBI, Night Gallery, Ironside, Medical Center, Gunsmoke, Hawaii Five-O, and Swiss Family Robinson.

Undoubtedly, his most successful role was Buck Cannon on the series High Chaparral. Cameron also listed this show as among his favorites, calling it the “best of the Western television era.” The show ran for five seasons, from 1967 to 1971, and has become a cult classic of sorts, even spawning a Cameron Mitchell Fan Club that exists to this day.

While this may have been the peak of his career, it was far from over. He worked steadily in movies and television until his death in 1994.

Cameron Mitchell maintained connection with York County throughout his life and some family still lives in the area. He freely recognized the key role Helena Hartenstein played in his career. He even performed at York Little Theatre in 1958, although under unusual circumstances.

His father was a lead in Inherit the Wind and Cameron returned home to watch the performance. But his father came down with the flu and could not go on. Cameron stepped in to play the role.

The descriptor “multi-faceted” and “vers-atile” are often used when describing his work and talent. He was never type-cast and was equally comfortable in comedic or dramatic settings. He received Academy award nominations for his supporting roles in Tall Men and Love me or Leave Me. In television he was nominated for his work in The Oxbow Incident and Man on the Ledge.

The achievements of Cameron Mitchell ’37 give us one more reason to be Warrior Proud.