Alumni Spotlight – Fred Grogan ‘65

January 2, 2014

Alumni Spotlight – Fred Grogan ‘65

Fred Grogan’s interest in politics became apparent at an early age. He began his student government service in 9th grade and worked for the school in many capacities throughout his SHS career, culminating in his election as president of Student Council his senior year. His proudest achievement was providing leadership in establishing the school’s foreign exchange program.

He excelled in the classroom and was a consistent honor roll student and was active in the performing arts through roles in student theatrical productions, in the mixed chorus, and in men’s trio. “The choral director at that time was Mrs. Zarfoss,” he recalls, “and she became a major influence in my life. She was demanding – almost unforgiving – but she taught us the value of hard work and the satisfaction that could be obtained from it.” He, too, especially remembers Sid Earhart, an SHS counselor with whom he could discuss adult problems. And he speaks fondly of history teacher Don Blough as his role model for citizenship and service.

Upon graduation, he attended Bates College in Maine – an odd choice for a Glen Rock boy, first in his family in higher education, but he was encouraged by his friend Gary Rohrbaugh and Gary’s uncle, a New Freedom doctor and Bates alum. His interest in government and political science flourished at Bates. He became active in campus political issue groups and resolved to become a teacher or lawyer.

Fred spent his collegiate junior year in Scotland, where he came down with arthritis and, after earning his B.A. in 1969, he acted on doctor’s advice by moving to Arizona to complete his Masters’ degree in Political Science at Arizona State University. While there, he was a teaching assistant and enjoyed the experience so much that he decided to teach at a community college in Missouri before pursuing his doctorate.

He did this for three years – from 1973 to 1976 – meeting his wife Julie there, and then decided to work on his PhD at the University of Missouri. After successfully completing his doctoral work, he returned to Pennsylvania to teach at Lycoming College in Williamsport. He was in the classroom for most of that time, but became interested in administration and ended his eight-year stay at Lycoming as Assistant Dean of the College.

In 1985, he returned to Missouri to become Dean of Instruction at Penn Valley campus of Metropolitan Community College, a position he held for four years. He later moved into a similar role at the college’s Longview campus where he was inaugurated as that institution’s president in 1998.  During his time at Longview he has been particularly proud of the college’s academic excellence and many national recognitions, including the first community college in the nation to be recognized as “College of the Year” by Time magazine and The Princeton Review.

Throughout his career, Fred has served his community and served as a leader of several civic organizations. He was the chair of the Planning Commission in Williamsport and in Lee’s Summit (Missouri). He was a founding  board member of the community symphony in Lee’s Summit and served as board chair.  He also serves on the boards of the local chamber of commerce and economic development council. He became interested in running at age 30 (even though he was never a student-athlete) and competes in many event formats, including marathons.  However, his current passion is his one year-old granddaughter, Ella.

Fred’s passion for learning and high education was an inspiration to his two daughters. Sarah has a Masters’ degree in public administration and is the assistant director of Downtown Lee’s Summit (Missouri) Main Street. His younger daughter, Rachael earned a law degree at Harvard University and practices law in Houston, Texas.

Thank you to Fred Grogan, Class of 1965, for making as Warrior Proud!