Alumni Spotlight – Mike Summers ‘80

There are few names intertwined in the history and tradition of Southern York County, as is the name of Charles G. Summers, Jr. The company he created, referred to by generations simply as “The Canning Factory,” provided a livelihood, financed college educations, and helped pay teenage car expenses for untold thousands. For more than a century, it stood at the community’s economic center.

Great-grandson Mike Summers – a proud member of the Class of 1980 – speaks of his family’s role with pride and will gladly recite factory history in as much detail as the listener demands. “It started in 1865 around the end of the Civil War,” he begins the story he has been told many times. “The main factory was originally based in Baltimore, with only a summer operation in New Freedom. But by 1935, the main plant had moved north.”

Mike’s grandfather, Stran Summers (Charles G’s son), took over the family business and the New Freedom operations expanded. The family’s direct connection with the Southern York County School District began in 1950 with Stran, who served as president of the jointure board that consolidated six municipal school systems and built Susquehannock High School.

After Stran, Mike’s father and uncle ran the business. (Uncle Dwight was also a school board president in the 1980s while father Tom served as president of the borough’s council) And like so many other area youth, Mike spent much of his summer school break working at The Canning Factory, starting with a broom and paint brush like anyone else. “It was there that I learned a work ethic,” he recalls. “It was backbreaking, but I don’t regret it.”

He was as busy in the school year as he was in the summertime and had a reputation for working hard at everything he undertook. He was an excellent student, consistently earning honor roll status and was inducted into the National Honor Society in his junior year. Outside the classroom he was a member of the yearbook staff for three years and business manager the last two. He lettered twice in wrestling, was a member of the school’s volleyball team, dabbled in football and band, and participated in a range of student event committees. Outside school, he was active in scouting and was one of the area’s youngest Eagle scouts. He received the school’s “Citizenship Award” in recognition of his service and leadership.

Following graduation in 1980, Mike attended the University of Richmond. While there, he was a member of Dean’s Council, a dorm president, a fraternity vice-president, and the Residence Hall Association treasurer.

Deciding against joining the family business right out of school, he obtained a job with an area financial planning firm, originally intending to take a break from formal studies and then pursue a career in law. But he found that he genuinely enjoyed financial services, and made it his career choice, becoming a Certified Financial Planner in 1988 and earning a Master’s degree in Financial Services 10 years later. He began his own firm in 1990 and has been practicing successfully on his own since that time.

Around 1990, he became interested in politics and ran for state representative as a Republican in overwhelmingly democratic York City. While he did not win, be became well known in many circles and developed a passion for community service, a passion he maintains to this day.

Mike is serving or has served in leadership positions for the York County Community Foundation – Advisors committee, Southern Branch YMCA, York Hospital Giving Campaign (v-chair), R & B Youth Volleyball Club (club director), Rotary Club of York (president), and Penn-Mar Human Services (chairman). He has also served on the York County Parks and Recreation Board, Southern York County School District’s Superintendent’s Advisory Committee, and the Farm and Natural Lands Trust.  He is also an instructor at SHS for Junior Achievement.

Mike remains active in the scouting movement, having served in many leadership capacities there also, including council commissioner, National Council Board representative, vice-president for operations for the council’s board, and teaches as a merit badge counselor.

He maintains his interest in politics with service to the 19th District Internship Association (president) and includes in his resume the following: Pension Board and Civil Service Commission for Southern Police Force, Republican Club of York County (president), York County Review Board Task Force, Committee to Re-elect U.S. Representative Bill Goodling (chairman), and Fund for York County’s Future Political Action Committee (chairman).

Reflecting on his time at Susquehannock, he remembers his teachers as a part of a continuum of personal growth and small community caring. He recalls interesting social studies classes with Tom Kerrigan, with whom he describes as someone who could make history come alive. “He would lean back in his chair and say, ‘Now old Uncle Tom’s going to tell you a story.’ Even marginal students could relate and do well on tests.”  Mike also remembers Ron Leese, his Chemistry teacher, in the same way. “He could make a very difficult subject interesting with his ability to engage at all levels.”

Mike’s family is a priority to him.  He lives in New Freedom with wife Jackie and their two children, Madison (Class of 2012) and Chase (Class of 2017).

It seems that the “Citizenship Award” given so many years ago as a senior is representative of his family’s approach to community and a way of life for this alumnus. Reflecting on a life of service far from done he says, “I’ve enjoyed my life and enjoyed the way I’ve done it.”

Thanks to Mike Summers, Class of 1980, for making us Warrior Proud.