Alumni Spotlight – Judy Grove Flemmens ‘63

January 1, 2014

Judy Grove was one of those rare people who said she knew what she wanted to be when she grew up and things actually ended up that way. “I wanted to be nurse for as long as I can remember,” she says. “And I don’t really know why. I just couldn’t imagine being anything else.” And with this unwavering conviction, Judy achieved that goal, rising to the top of her chosen profession – and accomplishing much outside that profession, along the way.

Judy was an outstanding student at Susquehannock, consistently earning honor roll status and was awarded membership in the National Honor Society. She was also active in Future Nurses of America, served as Yearbook editor, wrote for the school newspaper, and was inducted into Quill and Scroll, the national honor society for journalism students. A recognized leader of the student body, Judy was a member of Student Council, served on the prom committee, and was a senior class officer. Rounding out her impressive resume of student activities was participation in mixed chorus, directed at that time by Melba Shank (nee Zarfos), where she was a member of the girls ensemble and trio.

Miss Zarfos made a lasting impression on Judy. “She made you responsible and accountable,” she recalls. “Miss Zarfos played no favorites and had the same expectations for everyone.” In fact, when asked about what SHS values contributed the most to her career success, Judy lists a sense of responsibility and accountability at the top. She mentions Sid Earhart as a teacher who made a similar impression.

Out of school, Judy was a life guard at Bon Air Country Club, a popular local babysitter, and an active Girl Scout, progressing through the ranks of that organization to its highest level.

After leaving Susquehannock in 1963, she attended the University of Maryland joining the first wave of four-year baccalaureate degree nursing students, part of a movement that elevated nursing to high professional status. She remembers being very well prepared for the competitive program at Maryland and was even waived out of several freshman required courses, based on proficiency gained at SHS. She continued to lifeguard at Bon Air in the summers and swam during the year as a member of the University’s synchronized swim team.

After graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing in 1967, Judy began work at York Hospital in its newly established Coronary Care Unit, being named managing nurse after two years. She left nursing, temporarily, in 1971 to raise a family with her husband Larry Flemmens (SHS Class of 1961).

During this time, she was very active in a host of community service organizations. She was a charter board member of the Southern York County Human Services Coalition, was active in the Women’s Club of Glen Rock, helped start the first local Meals on Wheels program (where she was responsible for both scheduling and volunteer recruitment), volunteered in the area Girl Scout organization, taught Sunday school, and sang in the Immanuel United Methodist Church choir. In 2006, a grateful community awarded her the Glen Rock Good Citizenship Award.

When her family situation allowed, she resumed her career at York Hospital, beginning again as a staff nurse in the Transitional Cardiovascular Unit, but was later named nurse manager. The hospital recognized her as nurse manager of the year during this second career. When Judy retired from York Hospital in December 2008, a yearly “Dedication and Caring” award for the unit she managed, was created in her honor.

She remains in Glen Rock with Larry, who also recently retired from his own small business, Littlestown Pattern Works. The couple’s children also live in the area. Michael (SHS Class of 1989) graduated from Towson State University and works for ARmark Corporation in Glen Rock. Karen (SHS Class of 1993) graduated from the University of Notre Dame in Baltimore with a Bachelor of Science degree in History and earned a Masters Degree from George Washington University in Museum Studies.

Of her overall experience at SHS, Judy remembers a strong sense of community, not only among the student body, but among the faculty as well. And this caring family always gave good advice. “We were told consistently that, no matter what we did, we should do it with the idea of making a difference.” And this advice Judy certainly took to heart.

Thanks to Judy (Grove) Flemmens, Class of 1963, for making a difference, and making us Warrior Proud!