Alumni Spotlight – Joy Keller-Brown ‘74

January 1, 2014

The story of Joy Keller ’74 is representative of many of our alumni. Their Southern York County roots and affection for the area influence their career and life choices, and they return to ensure that their children enjoy the same kind of life they had. “I am proud of my journey,” Joy said. “I could have gone many different places and done any number of different things. But I’m right where I want to be.”

Joy was an active and successful student athlete at SHS. Academically, she was a consistent honor roll student with a particular fondness for English, mathematics and business. She credits teacher Roberta Thoman for inspiring her to writing excellence, a talent that earned her the position of yearbook editor in her senior year. “I admire Mrs. Thoman and value her friendship to this day,” Joy said. “I’m still in constant touch with her.”

She also played flute in the concert band, but her fondest memories come from the school’s athletic program, where she lettered in field hockey (when they still played on the hillside in front of the school), cheerleading, and volleyball. She remembers volleyball as her first love and is proud to have helped establish Susquehannock as a state power in that sport. As a member of the Carolyn Adams-coached team that won the PIAA gold medal in 1974, it was the first year of statewide championship play. (Joy’s daughter Sarah was a member of the 2000 squad that also won a PIAA gold medal; her younger daughter Emily’s 2005 team won a PIAA silver medal.)

During the summers, she worked as a director in the Shrewsbury summer playground program and was a lifeguard at both Codorus State Park and Bon Air Country Club.

After graduation, Joy attended Gettysburg College, majoring in business administration. She played field hockey in the fall and took up lacrosse as a spring sport. “I just assumed they had a volleyball program and was shocked to discover they didn’t,” she recalled. “I’d never played lacrosse before, but tried out for the team and made it.” The College did add volleyball in 1977 and Joy concluded her athletic career on the court.

She was also active in GROW – Gettysburg Reorganization of Women – a student organization dedicated to advancing women’s rights. They brought speakers onto campus and campaigned for joint (i.e. co-ed) housing. She also participated in the school’s study abroad program, attending the University of Bath (England) in her junior year.

Another experience she remembers as significant was her internship at the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Education and Welfare, where she helped to draft and analyze proposed legislation. At the time, she had planned on making this career choice, but the most valuable part of the experience for her was learning that: (1) she didn’t like politics and (2) she really wanted to live in Southern York County. She returned to work for Hedge Ring Nurseries in 1978, in charge of the business office, but also with the opportunity to help out in the flower operation – gardening was an activity she’d always enjoyed. But later that year, she had an opportunity to join her father in the Keller Insurance Agency, upon her grandfather’s retirement from this local insurance business.

Weaving in and out of Joy’s life story is husband Jeff Brown ’74. Joy and Jeff went through 13 years of school together as casual acquaintances, but nothing more. Then, two years into college, she ran into him during holiday recess and “it was like love at first sight,” she said. Suddenly, he seemed grown up to me!”

Jeff joined Joy at the Keller Agency in 1978 and he proved to be a natural salesman. It was an ideal partnership, with Jeff fronting the operation in sales and Joy in the “back room.” The partnership took the firm on a path that has made it the largest insurance firm in the area – The Keller-Brown Agency.

Outside work, Joy is active in the community, serving on church council at Zion Lutheran Church, as an adviser to Southern Community Services, a member of the board of directors at Penn Mar Human Services, and also the York Agricultural Business Council.

Of course, her greatest pride is her children. Her daughter Emily, a Villanova University graduate, is a nurse and an ensign in the United States Navy, currently serving at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. Emily’s twin brother Ben, a graduate of Shippensburg University, is a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army, Branched Infantry, currently assigned to the University where he teaches first year military science students. After further officer training as an Airborne Ranger, he will be assigned to Fort Hood, Texas. Her oldest daughter Sarah, a Duquesne University graduate, works with Jeff and Joy at Keller-Brown Insurance Services, in Shrewsbury.

She looks back on her days at Susquehannock and all the experiences there as preparation for her happy and successful life. “It’s the best high school for miles around,” she said. “It prepared me and it prepared my children.”

Thanks to Joy Keller-Brown ’74 for making us Warrior Proud.