Alumni Spotlight – Bob Wolf ‘58

January 1, 2014

Bob was a student at Susquehannock from its opening until graduation in 1958. During his six years there, he made his presence known by demonstrating an aptitude for leadership and passion for making a difference that defined his life. Bob served six terms as class president, was member of the yearbook and newspaper staff, earned recognition as a member of the National Honor Society, and was Co-Captain of the championship football team. (And says he would have liked to have been more involved, but he had to work on the family farm every morning, evening, and weekend!)

After graduation, Bob was uncertain as to a career path until his former grid coach, Bob McCoy, convinced him to go to college, certain he would succeed. Western Maryland College (now McDaniel) provided the opportunity to study physical education and biology along with an opportunity to continue playing football. The plan was to take advantage of the College’s ROTC program, serve three years, and then leave the Army to teach and coach at the high school level. Bob graduated with a commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in 1962.

Three years in the Army turned into a thirty-year career, however, beginning with command of a tank platoon, followed by an assignment to Army flight school in 1965. This led to an assignment in Vietnam re-supplying special forces in the field. Upon returning stateside, he became helicopter qualified and returned to Vietnam as commander of a chopper battalion.

This combat experience was followed by a 4-year ROTC teaching assignment at Duquesne University, training at the Fort Leavenworth Command and General Staff College, command of an aviation battalion in Panama, and service as Inspector General for Army Intelligence and Security. Bob ended his Army career in 1992 as Chief of Staff for ROTC in the Fort Lewis, Washington Region.

But Bob wasn’t done. Never one to leave plans unfinished, he resumed his quest to teach school and began an eight-year career teaching high school science, social studies, economics, Asian studies, and U.S. History in the Olympia school system.

He officially “retired” in 2001, but remains active in the Olympia Yacht Club as Chairman of the Board of Trustees and serves in a leadership role in his church.

Bob and his wife Sandra (Wallace) ’60 are the proud parents of Todd, who is an Army Colonel assigned to the Pentagon, and Gregory, who is an executive with United Parcel. Their granddaughter, Courtney, is a student at the United States Coast Guard Academy.

Congratulations, Bob, on your many contributions to your country, your school, and your community, and for making us all “Warrior Proud!”