Seniors Play the Stock Market

Seniors Play the Stock Market

By Collin Riley and

The main screen when you log onto the website. Photo By:Collin Riley
The main screen when you log onto the website.
Photo By:Collin Riley

Every year the seniors who are taking any Government and Economics class, play a game which puts the student in the shoes of a stockbroker, allowing them to learn first hand how the market works. This year the game started March 10.

Each student was given $20,000.00 in virtual cash to invest in markets, including: AMEX, NASDAQ and NYSE.  Students are also given a certain set of rules to follow, such as: you must have at least five stocks at all times, you may not short sell your stock, and you are not allowed to buy penny stocks.  The game is located and played on HowTheMarketWorks.com where the players are able to buy and sell stock between the times of 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Senior Josh Attig believes that this is a great way to teach students about the stocks.

“Oh I think it’s awesome,” Attig said.  “It gives students the opportunity to experience what it is like to walk on wall street and invest in companies using virtual money giving an educational purpose.”

Long term Government teaching substitute Alex Kreager believes it is very beneficial for the students.

“Gives them a realistic opportunity to see market in action” said Kreager. “Also provides a healthy batch of competition between students, tracking their stocks over a two month period.”

Many students like senior Sarah Schertle are surprised to see how well they are doing.

“I’m very surprised,” said Schertle.  “At first I had no idea what I was doing, but now I get it.”

With only two weeks remaining in the competition Shea Stuart leads the way with a profit of $5,300.  The competition ends on May 15.

The "Trade Now" tab allows students to search for stock and purchase a share. Photo By:Collin Riley
The “Trade Now” tab allows students to search for stock and to purchase a share.
Photo By:Collin Riley

The leader board shows the profit from each player. Photo By: Collin Riley