Students Make Checkpoints to Get Themselves Through the Year

By Nicole Michels, Reporter

With the end of the year winding down, there are many events that students and teachers can look forward to, including: the musical, AP tests, prom, award ceremonies, finals and graduation.

Prom is the one night where juniors and seniors can have one last dance before the year ends. With the decorations, amazing food and music, it’s a night everyone will remember. The post-prom party is what comes afterwards. Held at the high school, students have a safe place to go after prom and eat more food, play games and enter raffles to win money.

Prom is what senior Megan Peters is looking forward to as she hopes it will help get her through the end of the year. All the preparation and time that goes into planning an amazing night is keeping her busy and away from thinking about how many days she has left until graduation.

“I’m so excited for prom because it’s my senior year, and I want to be able to have one last memory with my friends before we graduate,” said Peters.

After prom is over, the year is slowly winding down and all that’s left is AP testing, the award ceremony, finals and then graduation; however, students aren’t the only ones who have things that they look forward to.

Math teacher Chris Newland has been a teacher at SHS for 16 years. Every year around this time he looks forward to the award ceremony because it is an event that is held around the same time every year, so one always knows it’s the end of the year when the award ceremony happens.

“I look forward to the award ceremony because you get to see all the hard work that the kids have put in through the years, and all their positive accolades,” said Newland.

By the time the award ceremony is over, students know that it is crunch time before finals week. Finals are that dreaded week of every school year that puts all the knowledge students have accumulated over the year into separate tests for each subject.

Sophomore Yulia Houseal cannot wait until finals week, as she only has a couple finals to take.

“I’m excited for finals week because at the end of the week, it means another year is over,” said Houseal.

There are ***** school days left until the end of the year and if everyone has a small thing they are looking forward to that can help them get to the end, everyone will make it.