Protecting Phones In School

Losing a beloved phone could seem like the end of the world for most high school students.

Susquehannock has embraced the use of technology, and all over the school students use cell phones. An estimated 78% of high schoolers in America, according to Pew Research Center, have access to a cell phone.

There is one large risk in bringing in a phone: getting it lost or stolen. Insurance may cover for a new phone, but parents and students alike might get concerned by who may have stolen their phone.

Preventing a phone from getting stolen is not too hard,  but it needs attention. Losing focus in school could lead to it being stolen or broken. Students should always make sure to always keep track of their phones and make sure they do not leave it unprotected. If a phone is out in the open, or in a place with open access, like an unlocked locker, people could take the phone as easy as stealing candy from a baby.

Losing a phone anywhere can be devastating for anyone who owns one.

Freshman Caitlyn Minor lost her phone at Field Of Screams back in October 2014.

“It was the most horrible thing in my entire life,” said Minor. “My whole life was on that device. My dad was so mad. He gave me this huge lecture on keeping it with you and making sure you have it at all times.”

Losing a phone is one thing, but keeping it safe is another. Passwords are important for keeping privacy locked away. Without a password, everything and anything on a phone can be accessed to.

Using the apps like Find My iPhone and Norton Mobile Protection are great ways to track down a missing phone. It also helps the finder connect to the original owner.

Also, it’s necessary to have a case on a phone to make sure it does not break. Without a case, the cell phone could become scratched, acquire a broken screen, or lose content.

Hiding a phone is another great way to make sure the phone doesn’t get stolen. Put a phone in a safe place, like an inside pocket of a backpack or tucked away in a locked locker. Having a phone in a pocket, especially a back pocket, can be easily pick-pocketed by anyone.

The easiest way to protect a phone is to make sure it is properly taken care of.