Team Jenny Works Hard to Raise Money

By Emily Loehmer

Battle of the Buildings, a competition between every school building in the Southern York County School District that is full of relays and other fun activities, will raise money for the Four Diamonds Foundation in honor of sophomore Jenny Smith who has currently entered her own battle against cancer.

The Susky staff wear green or black Team Jenny shirts to show their support for raising funds for sophomore Jenny Smith. Photo by: Alexis Anelli
The Susky staff wear green or black Team Jenny shirts to show their support for raising funds for sophomore Jenny Smith’s treatment. Photo by: Alexis Anelli

The Four Diamonds Foundation is a well known organization that is intertwined with raising money to fight childhood cancer. The foundation came about after Christopher Millard, an eleven year old boy who had been battling cancer for three years, passed away in 1972. This foundation has been raising money since its creation, and now Susquehannock has found its motivation to contribute.

Jenny Smith was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a cancer that is incredibly rare and devastating.  “Anyone who knows Jenny knows that Jenny is just great kid. She’s a great student. She’s a fantastic person. To see someone like her go through this type of situation is devastating,” said Cousineau. “She always works so hard to be there for everyone else, and I think it’s important to step up and be there for her because she’s going to need it.”

Business Education teacher Jocelyn Ruppert has put a massive amount of effort into Team Jenny. She has organized most of the fundraisers currently taking place or ones that will take place in the near future.

“[I believe this cause] is all about loving and giving back to someone who needs it, and being a role model,” said Ruppert.

While these few fundraising acts are important to everyone, including Jenny and her family, this fight against cancer will certainly continue for much longer. Ruppert has plans to continue this fundraising for Jenny as long as she can.

“I am hoping within a couple months we can address it again,” said Ruppert.

Battle of the Buildings has always been a tradition for Southern York County School District, and any money it helped raise was originally donated to Dollars for Scholars, a college scholarship program for seniors. After Susquehannock was informed about Jenny Smith and her  battle against cancer, teachers and students came together to brainstorm ways to help their fellow student and classmates.

Now that Battle of the Buildings is just around the corner, students and teachers have also arranged for other smaller forms of fundraising to take place as well. T-Shirts and bracelets have been designed and are currently being distributed to students to help not only Jenny and her support team, but also to get the word out about childhood cancer.

Make sure to attend Battle of the Buildings tonight, and help Susquehannock show support for Jenny Smith.