Dangers of Drug Abuse

By Nicole Michels, Reporter

Adderall, marijuana, cocaine, and methamphetamine are all drugs that have been taken by many high school age students. There are many dangers of taking recreational drugs, involving one’s health and one’s social life. People who choose to take these drugs are risking ruining relationships and pulling away from reality. There are also many health risks when taking drugs such as Adderall or cocaine.

Health Risks

Recreational drugs can cause an increase in blood pressure, accelerated heart rate and a shortness of breath. A loss of appetite and weight is also a major health risk when taking drugs. In adult users, the risks include a heart attack or even a stroke. When someone has heart problems and chooses to take these harmful drugs, death is plausible. In kids and teens, a delay in development may occur. Statistically speaking, about 100 Americans die each day from drug overdoses.

Behavioral Problems

Many behavioral problems come into effect after someone uses drugs. These problems include paranoia, aggressiveness and hallucinations. Many addicts find themselves hallucinating about bugs on their skin, which leads them to scratch their arms until the skin is gone. Impaired judgement, impulsiveness, loss of self-control and addiction add to the list of behavioral problems.

Signs of Using and Addiction

When someone finds himself neglecting responsibilities, using drugs under dangerous conditions, getting into legal trouble or causing problems in their relationships, they may be addicted. They have become addicted to whatever drug he or she is taking. If someone has built up a drug tolerance or they take drugs to avoid withdrawal symptoms, they have reached a dangerous point in their life and will need help in order to survive.

No matter what the drug, the signs that someone is using are very similar. Nurse Melinda Landis tells us some of the signs that people can look for if they suspect a person is using drugs.

“A lot of times pupils will dilate, or they’ll be pin point,” said Landis. “Along with the vital signs, the blood pressure will be elevated or decreased depending on the drug.”

In High School

About 17% of high school students do drugs during the school day. The fact that students find it necessary to bring the drugs to school instead of keeping them at home has raised some concerns.

Principal Kevin Molin has recently dealt with the expulsion of students who were caught snorting Adderall in their study hall class. He expresses why he thinks students bring drugs to school.

“I think it’s the feeling that they don’t think they’re going to get caught,” said Molin.

Students had a different perspective on why the kids might bring drugs into school, senior Shane Harris was vocal on his opinion.

“Some people like to make money off of selling drugs in school,” said Harris.

Senior Mya Gibbs had an opinion on the punishment used when someone is caught using drugs at school.

“I think there should be a separate program for those kids who just made one mistake but are relatively good kids,” said Gibbs.

From 2002 to 2012, the use of drugs went up from 8.3% of the population to 9.2%. Schools all around the nation are trying to find ways to decrease the drug use in their school. In the U.S., programs such as D.A.R.E send representatives to talk to students making them aware of the dangers of drugs and how to prevent themselves from being in that kind of situation.