Targeting Holiday Gifts Under $20

An easy way to find cheap holiday gifts is to go to Target. Courtesy of couponcrazymommy.com

By Kerrie DeFelice, Reporter

When searching for the perfect gift for friends, students often struggle with everything being over-priced. In order to spare the bank this holiday season here are a wide variety of gifts under $20 that students can find at Target.

Movies:

Old and new blockbuster hits can be found just under $10. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice

2014 was a big year for cinemas, but if you aren’t looking to spend $30 on the newest movie release, then you can enjoy Target’s timeless classics. The Harry Potter series that we were raised with can be found in two DVD sets for just $7.99, and students will be able to relive the magic of Hogwarts during every movie night. If you and your friends want to go see the final Hobbit movie entitled The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies on December 17, then you can freshen up on your Middle Kingdom knowledge with an early holiday present and purchase the trilogy The Lord of the Rings set for only $10. An ultimate throwback that can be purchased is the 1987 classic The Princess Bride. Action, romance, and laughter will be experienced when watching the star studded movie featuring Billy Crystal, Wallace Shawn, Robin Wright, and Cary Elwes.

Books:

Books to movies were a popular trend in 2014, so go back to the beginning and read these popular novels.  Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.
Books to movies were a popular trend in 2014, so go back to the beginning and read these popular novels.
Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

Turning books to movies has been a popular occurrence this year with novels hitting the theater like The Fault in Our Stars, If I Stay, and the third installment in the Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1. If your friend happens to be the common book worm, then purchasing one of these three books for under $10 will be the greatest gift anyone could receive. John Greene brought another heartfelt book to the shelves about two teenagers who have fallen in love, yet face the challenge of both having cancer. The Fault in our Stars shows audiences that even through the darkest of times love can prevail and defy all odds. The best part of TFIOS is that it can be purchased for $10.39 only at Target. The young adult novel If I Stay features the toughest decision a teenager could ever be faced with. This compelling story is a great, cheap read for anyone’s Christmas break. Rising cellist Mia Hall is left in a coma after a fatal car crash that killed her parents and little brother. During her hospital stay, Mia must decide if she should give up and join her family or stay to pursue her dreams of Juilliard and continue her relationship with her boyfriend Adam Wilde. The Hunger Games franchise is coming to an end in November 2015. In order to re-live the games it is only a $8.39 purchase for any holiday gift. Enter District 12 in Suzanne Collins’ first installment of the Hunger Games and experience the bravery of Katniss Everdeen during the 74th Annual Hunger Games.

Music:

The top albums of the year can be purchased and enjoyed all for under $17. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

Give the gift of music to your friends this year with hit albums under $17. Twenty two time Grammy nominee Taylor Swift delivers her fifth studio album 1989 which features number one songs “Shake It Off” and “Blank Space” for $11.99. Sam Smith’s In the Lonely Hour raked in 6 Grammy nominations for his debut album which includes global hit “Stay With Me.” Other popular artists include Maroon 5 with their newest album V and alternative band The 1975 self titled debut album for less than $12.

Games:

For the game player in your life go for tabletop games for $20, Apples to Apples for $15, or a Wilson basketball for $18.99. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

For that fun-loving gamer in your life, give them the present that will bring out the best in them. For only $19.99 you can buy table top pool, air hockey, or foosball. It’s the perfect gift for those who love competitive game nights with friends and have little space to play them. Also, bring your friends to tears in the fun game Apple to Apples for $15. Create the craziest word combinations and make non stop laughter at any party. If your friend has a sporty side to them, then go with a $18.99 Wilson basketball for their enjoyment.

Jewelry:

Statement pieces necklaces and earrings line the walls of Target from $10 to $20. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

For the fashionista in your life, give cute jewelry under $20 at Target. One option you can go for is a necklace earring set for $9.99. Get this year’s hottest trend: a gold arrow necklace along with three decorative earring posts. If you want to go bold, you can choose from two showstopping necklace pieces for $19.99.

Home:

Creative gifts like frames and decretive cups can be found for under $6. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.
Creative gifts like frames and decorative cups can be found for under $6. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

If you are more creative, you can get a variety of homeware for under $6 or a picture frame to showcase your friendship for only $2. Get a mug for your friend featuring their first initial for $6, so they can enjoy their hot cocoa on snowy days. For the young at heart, get a Frozen decorated cup featuring the world’s favorite snowman Olaf for only $5.99.

Pets:

Don't forget about that furry friend in your life and get your dog's or cat's new favorite toy. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.
Don’t forget about that furry friend in your life, and get your dog’s or cat’s new favorite toy. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

Friends come in all shapes and sizes, so this holiday season don’t forget your loyal furry friends. For your dogs you can choose between a soft stocking squeak toy or a festive rope bone chew each for $5.39. And for the special cat in your life get them a gingerbread house cat scratcher for only $9.99. It’s a festive cardboard scratching home equipped with any cat’s weakness, a hanging snowflake to be batted at.

Students may think that Christmas will break their bank, but if you look in the right places, finding gifts will be a steal.