Band Aid 30 Fights Against Ebola

Band Aid 30 remastered the Band Aid 1984 song for Ethiopia into a song that relates to the struggles in Africa with the Ebola virus. Courtesy of www.humanospere.org.

By Kerrie DeFelice, Reporter

The holiday season is all about giving, and this year the nonprofit organization Band Aid is celebrating their 30th anniversary by giving to those affected by the Ebola crisis in Africa.

Band Aid was established in 1984 by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to raise money for anti-poverty efforts in Ethiopia through the production of the song “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” The charity group featured English and Irish groups or artists and gathered singers like Paul McCartney, David Bowie, and many others. The song exceeded expectations and raised millions of dollars for famines in Ethiopia through record sales and live concerts alone. This year Band Aid 30 re-lyriced “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” to fit the Ebola crisis in Africa.  The song has generated 21 million pounds, which is close to 32 million U.S. dollars, and the Official U.K. Singles Chart has it currently listed at number two.

"Do They Know It's Christmas?" is available on iTunes for people around the world can help the cause. Courtesy of www.josepvinaixa.com.
“Do They Know It’s Christmas?” is available on iTunes so people around the world can help the cause. Courtesy of www.josepvinaixa.com.

Sophomore Jordyn Blucher thinks that the song has generated so much popularity due

to its great cause and the artists involved in the project.

“I think because it’s for a good cause, people want to help Ebola victims especially since celebrities and famous icons are supporting it,” said Blucher. “I feel like that will get more people to listen to it.”

The song features One Direction, Bono, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, and more world-renowned artists.

Artists ranging from Bono to One Direction and British Youtubers Zoella, ThatcherJoe, and PointlessBlog came to support the cause and contribute to "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Courtesy of english.cntv.cn.
Artists ranging from Bono to One Direction and British Youtubers Zoella, ThatcherJoe, and PointlessBlog came to support the cause and contribute to “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” Courtesy of english.cntv.cn.

For senior Alexis Anelli, this song is a classic during her holiday season. She enjoys the fact that Bono was represented in this year’s ”Do They Know It’s Christmas?” and the 1984 version.

“Bono from U2 [is my favorite],” said Anelli. “I love his voice, and I love all of U2’s songs. I think of happy things [when I listen to U2 songs].”

The song also featured famous YouTubers Zoe Sugg (Zoella), Joe Sugg (ThatcherJoe), and Alfie Deyes (PointlessBlog) to attract a broader audience. Band Aid wanted to bring in more proceeds by using YouTube since the three have a combined total of 20 million subscribers between their channels and have more than one billion views on all their videos.

All of the artists came together in November to record "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Courtesy of digitalspy.com.
All of the artists came together in November to record “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” Courtesy of digitalspy.com.

“That was a really good idea.” said Anelli. “Personally, I watch Joe and Zoe Sugg’s videos like 24/7. I watch [Alfie Deyes] all the time too, so all of these [buyers] watch these youtubers all the time so was a good plan.”

A main speculation that surrounds the song is whether or not it will help the Ebola crisis. BuisnessWeek.com states that “Band Aid 30 promises that proceeds will be donated to the intervention and prevention of the spread of Ebola, but doesn’t specify which aid groups it’s working with and why.” Although students at SHS still believe that the song will help the Ebola crisis.

Senior Gabby Corey states that the cause will be a big reason of her buying the song or not.

“I do [believe it will help the Ebola cause] because if it’s truly going to support the fundraiser, then yes, I’ll buy the song,” said Corey.

Band Aid Thirty has raised more than $1.5 million dollars, according to Buisnessweek.com for the Ebola outbreak in Africa. Courtesy of www.independent.co.uk.

Anelli chimes that the more attention brought to the project, the better result for Ebola victims.

“It will bring attention to the issue, not that there is not already attention brought to the issue, but there will be more,” said Anelli. “The more money we can get to give to Ebola research, the better, and any effort counts.”

With the rate of popularity, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” will be able to make a substantial difference in the crisis in Africa involving the Ebola disease.