Susquehannock Adopts Families For the Holidays

The Adopt-A-Family fundraiser has made its presence known in the auditorium lobby. Photo by Karly Matthews.

The “Adopt-A-Family” fundraiser has made its presence known in the auditorium lobby. Photo by Karly Matthews.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

The Southern York Community Services, which supports over one hundred families in this area, is sponsoring “Adopt-A-Family” at Susquehannock.

A decorated Christmas tree located in the auditorium lobby has stars with all kinds of different gifts that students can choose from. This fundraiser is all about donations to families for the holidays. Students can donate money or pick a star and bring in the item on it. Also included in the display is a collection bucket for all goods that are donated along with a festive “letter to Santa.”

Teacher Kristen Johnson along with leaders of student and class councils are heading this particular fundraiser. Johnson believes that giving back is a huge part of the holiday season.

“I was lucky enough growing up to get that one special toy during Christmas,” said Johnson. “I think it’s always good to give back to people who want to have that moment too.”

In the past, the school’s clubs, sports, and other organizations have “adopted” families to help out for the holidays, but this year, the fundraiser is school-wide for many reasons.

French teacher Stephanie South thinks that the fundraiser will not only benefit those in need, but also the students at Susquehannock.

“I think it will show the kids in our school what giving back to your community can do,” said South. “I also think that it will help them to pass along the holiday spirit.”

The fundraiser will also have the ability to be more successful with the entire school involved because the donations will not be concentrated in the percentage of students who participate in school-funded activities.

For instance, freshman Keith Baum is not involved with school clubs and organizations, though he is a volunteer firefighter. Because the fundraiser is now schoolwide, he was able to donate.

“[I donated] because I know two people who were adopted,” said Baum. “[The fundraiser] gives them what they don’t [have].”

Between a video after the morning announcements, emails home to parents, and posters in the hallway, Johnson and other teachers are working hard to promote this fundraiser to the student body. Luckily, students have stepped up, and many stars were taken from the display in the lobby. It’s also important to donate cash and spare change to collection jars in homeroom.

The gift and money collection will continue until November 21 when all donations will be given to the Southern York Community Services to be distributed for the holidays.