Memorable Endings for Susquehannock’s Fall Sports

The 2014 Warrior football team Photo by: Chuck Abbott

By Abigail Bentz, Editor in Chief

Susquehannock’s fall sports are coming to a close but not without some memorable endings.

TENNIS

Warrior girls tennis had a memorable season. After eight seniors graduating, the team found a way to make this year count. Standout Usha Baublitz earned her way through counties and led the team in victories. They finished with a record of 5-5.

Senior Lynn Trumpower has enjoyed her years playing tennis at Susquehannock.

“We didn’t win a ton of games[this season], but I would say as far as teamwork and bonding as a team and getting along we-were successful,” said Trumpower.

The 2014 Girls Tennis team Photo by: Chuck Abbott

BOYS SOCCER

The boys finished as Division II champs with an overall record of 14-6, sending them into postseason with a high ranking. In postseason, they fell short to Dallastown in county semifinals and completed their season after the first round of districts to ELCO.

Senior Owen Founds has been a part of Warrior soccer all four years of high school.

“We thought that we would at least make it to states, so we’re pretty upset that we didn’t get as far as our goals were. But in the end, we made it to districts, so it was a good way to end our senior season,” said Founds.

The 2014 Boys Soccer team Photo by: Chuck Abbott

CROSS COUNTRY

The loss of two exceptional cross country athletes left this year’s members with some pressure. The team finished with a 4-7 record, and some individual members qualified for postseason.

Junior Rachael Banchiere was one of the ten runners to place in districts. Other runners include Matthew Barnhart, Ryan Denis, Mark Freidhoff, Nathan Shelley, Joey McDonald, Will Earls, Courtney Rodgers, Jackie Ditt and Hunter Davis. After a back injury, she fought to earn a spot in states against 158 opponents.

“I was satisfied with how I did,” said Banchiere. “I was out for three weeks, so I wasn’t expecting to go to states, and I came in 26th [out of 158] in districts, so I was okay with that.”

The 2014 Cross Country team Photo by: Chuck Abbott

FIELD HOCKEY

Field hockey finished their season with an overall record of 7-2 and a league record of 3-1 according to PennLive.com but did not advance to postseason.

Junior Ally Kerr believes that they can build upon this season and take it a step further next year.

“I think overall we had a good season, but there’s definitely a lot of room for improvement,” said Kerr.

The 2014 Field Hockey team Photo by: Chuck Abbott

GIRLS SOCCER

Warrior girls soccer took their season into the second round of districts this year. They finished as co-champions of Division II sharing the title with Dover. In counties, they lost to Dallastown in semis but made history by being the first ever girls soccer team from Susquehannock to win a district game. They moved on to the second round where they completed their season after a 0-2 loss against Greencastle.

Senior Melissa Lynch is proud with how the team finished their season.

“As a whole we were pretty content with how we finished,” said Lynch. “We played our hearts out and did the best we could.”

The 2014 Girls Soccer team Photo by: Chuck Abbott

FOOTBALL

Warrior football has given the student body something to follow this year. Their win on senior night against Kennard Dale left the student section crazy with excitement. The players were emotionally overwhelmed after the 10-9 victory. The warriors continue their season with an overall record of 1-8. On Friday, October 31, they will play Dover.

This marks senior Tyler Buckley’s first season with Warrior football.

“This season has been an experience that I have never ever experienced before,” said Buckley.

GIRLS VOLLEYBALL

Warrior girls volleyball has had a season of ups and downs. After they finished their season in Division II with an overall record of 14-6, the Warriors entered postseason. They fell short in a tight game with rival Delone Catholic in the first round of counties and faced them again in the second round of Districts. After a battle through the fifth set, the Warriors ended their season with a score of 19-17.

Senior Stephanie Bortner has been in the program all four years of high school.

“It’s always upsetting to not finish a season with some sort of title,” said Bortner. “We practiced hard, and with the right mindset. As long as each player put in their all, we had no doubt that we wouldn’t be disappointed with our final results. Win or lose, we still had a wonderful season.”

The 2014 Girls Volleyball team Photo by: Chuck Abbott

GOLF

Warrior golf had a successful season placing either 3rd or 4th at all of their matches. Senior standout Caleb Bryant furthered his season to districts and plans to continue his career in college but is undecided where at the moment.

The Warrior golf team Photo by: Chuck Abbott

Athletes will soon turn their focus to winter sports: swimming, boys and girls basketball and wrestling.