How old is too old to trick-or-treat?

Even though some kids may disguise themselves as older, they wont be getting fined this Halloween season. Photo courtesy of Karole Bentz

Even though some kids may disguise themselves as older, they won’t be getting fined this Halloween season. Photo courtesy of Karole Bentz

By Abigail Bentz, Editor-in-Chief

Every October, students consider trading their costumes for a more “mature” way of celebrating Halloween, but one may question if  there really an age limit to trick-or-treating.

Legally, many counties have set the age limit at 12 years old; however, students believe the issue to be more of a personal preference.

Senior Josh Attig looks at the limit to be around the time someone enters high school.

“14 maybe [is too old,] early teens,” said Attig. “It’s creepy when old kids go up and ask for candy. It’s a child’s holiday.”

While he appeared to have an opinion on the topic, it isn’t going to stop him from trick-or-treating this year.

“I’m not saying I’m not going trick-or-treating,” said Attig. “I’m just saying people should probably stop at 14.”

Senior Josh Attig dressed as a teletubby in 2010 for Halloween but plans to wear the same costume this year. Photo courtesy of Josh Attig

Freshman Owen Buckley hasn’t trick-or-treated in the past couple years. He also believes that it’s just too unusual to be older and go door to door.

“13 [is when it is too old to trick or treat] because it’s weird when older people come up to your door and ask for candy,” said Buckley.

This year Buckley plans to stay in and hand out candy.

Senior Ellen Stewart will be dressing up; however, this may be her last year going trick-or-treating.

“Maybe after senior year of high school is too old,” said Stewart. “I think [this will be my last year] because I’ll probably go out somewhere, go out with my friends or pass out candy [in future years.]”

Attig also said he will stop trick or treating after this October because it’s his last year in high school; however, sophomore Claire Morrison believes there shouldn’t be a limit on trick-or-treating age.

“[There is] no such thing [as a limit]. I feel like if you’re 16 and still trick or treating that’s pretty brave,” said Morrison. “It’s free candy, and I feel like you shouldn’t limit that because someone’s older.”

Most kids trick-or-treat for the crazy amount of free candy. Photo courtesy of 4spoiledkidz. http://instagram.com/p/gL6ufJgl1B/
Most kids trick-or-treat for the crazy amount of free candy. Photo courtesy of 4spoiledkidz.
http://instagram.com/p/gL6ufJgl1B/

York County has not established a law placing an age limit on trick-or-treating. According to “Are Teenage Trick-or-Treaters Breaking the Law?” from mentalfloss.com, there can be severe consequences for overaged trick-or-treating, jail time and fines of over $100. Violating the 12-year cap has never been a problem in the past. While the penalties have been established, there are no reports of enforcement. This is good news for all of the high schoolers looking to dress up and participate in the “child’s holiday.”

Even though some kids may disguise themselves as older, they won't be getting fined this Halloween season. Photo courtesy of Karole Bentz

Trick-or treating will be on Friday, October 31 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. for Shrewsbury, Glen Rock, New Freedom and Railroad, but from 7:00-9:00 p.m. in Stewartstown. Times for other local areas can be found at flipsidepa.com.