Friday Nights Homecoming Events

Picasa

The Warriors took on the Trojans at Friday’s homecoming game. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

By Kerrie DeFelice, Reporter

To start off homecoming weekend, students watched the crowning of the homecoming queen and Friday’s football game against York Suburban.

Homecoming court nominee Abigail Bentz walks the field with her parents, Paul and Karole Bentz. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

Before the game, the homecoming court, accompanied by their parents, walked the field and awaited the student body’s decision of homecoming queen. The court consisted of seniors Alexis Anelli, Abigail Bentz, Brandi Bradford, Stephanie Bortner, Kaila Glenn, Brittney Fitzgerald, Amie Larum, Mollie Larum, Brooke Manker, and Brooke McGee.

The crowning began when the second runner up was announced, and Brandi Bradford accepted the honor. Next Alexis Anelli was awarded runner up. Coming out on top with the title of homecoming queen was Brittney Fitzgerald.

Brittney Fitzgerald won the title of 2014 homecoming queen. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

“[It was] exciting. I was just happy to get on court.” said Fitzgerald. “I wasn’t expecting to be homecoming queen at all.”

Fellow volleyball teammate Ashley Bortner was more than delighted when her friend won.

“Oh definitely [I was happy for her]! I love Brittney Fitzgerald,” said Bortner. “She’s great, such a nice girl. She deserved to win.”

Following the crowning of the queen, the Warriors took the field ready for their game against the York Suburban Trojans. Although the team ended the game with a loss of 7-37, the Warriors still walked away with some major accomplishments.

The Warriors cheer on their teammates from the sidelines on Friday's homecoming game. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.
The Warriors rallied during the second half. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

The first half ended with a big gap of 0-37, but the Warriors fought back during the second half allowing no touchdowns from their opponents. Junior Myles Moultrie was even able to put the home team on the scoreboard.

Senior corner back and wide receiver Jakob Kramer was satisfied with his team’s fight in the second half.

“It definitely felt better than in the first half.” said Kramer. “We came out real slow, and in the second half our [defense] picked it up a little bit.”

The team never gave up despite the big score difference. Late in the fourth quarter, the Warriors scored their first touchdown of the game, but they couldn’t turn the game around.

Junior Abbi Mahan cheers on the football team against the Trojans of York Suburban. Photo by Kerrie DeFelice.

“Since [the touchdown] was at the end of the game, it didn’t really do anything for us.” said Kramer. “It still felt good to go out and get a touchdown.”

In order to get ready for next week’s game versus the Eastern York Knights, the Warriors are simply working hard on their defense and stopping the other team’s running game.

Even with a loss at the homecoming game, the events were still upbeat.