The Varsity Brain Team Meets Again

While Hallman reads a practice question, the team brainstorms answers. Photo by Karly Matthews.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

While athletes hone in their skills by regularly attending practices and playing games, Quiz Bowl members prepare themselves through learning in school classes and weekly meetings.

Quiz Bowl is a student club that focuses on memorizing pieces of information from all kinds of subjects. From minute details to big ideas, club members pride themselves on their amount of knowledge.

Hallman reads one of his practice questions to the team. Photo by Karly Matthews.
Hallman reads one of his practice questions to the team. Photo by: Karly Matthews

Senior Brady Achterberg has participated in Quiz Bowl for the majority of his high school career, and he enjoys being able to show off some of his knowledge.

Seniors Brady Achterberg and Jared Jordan discuss answers with the entire team. Photo by Karly Matthews.
Seniors Brady Achterberg and Jared Jordan discuss answers with the entire team. Photo by: Karly Matthews

“In the same way that a sport is a good social venue to train your body, Quiz Bowl works on training your mind,” said Achterberg. “[You get to learn] in a fun setting.”

The club meets every Wednesday in the library for an hour-long practice session. Club advisor and English teacher Heath Hallman first finds online questions that may resemble the ones that the team may see later. Then, he separates members into teams, and they conduct a mock competition.

Hallman started advising the club after seeing a practice in the library and thinking that it looked like a fun activity. Though he didn’t participate in a similar club during his high school career, he enjoys providing the opportunity at Susquehannock.

“[Quiz Bowl] gives students an opportunity to socialize and a chance to compete not through athletics,” said Hallman. “Students can also learn from each other.”

Seniors Anthony Stem (left) and Adam Nolan (right) share a laugh during Quiz Bowl practice. Photo by Karly Matthews
Seniors Anthony Stem (left) and Adam Nolan (right) share a laugh during Quiz Bowl practice. Photo by: Karly Matthews

The team attends a competition in the spring of every school year, and it will be traveling to New Oxford High School for a competition between eight to ten schools in April. In the past, the team has never won a competition, but the members enjoy the experience of going. Previously, the team has come in fourth a few years ago, but other than that, it has not placed.

Senior Adam Nolan joined the team to be with his friends and thinks being a member is fun. This year, he is a team captain, and he is especially excited for his last high school competition.

“[I enjoy learning] random information,” said Nolan. “Plus, being in a competition on stage is really good for public speaking.”

For students considering joining the team, current members have a lot to say regarding the benefits of the organization. Achterberg points out that the club has a “varsity” team that attends the yearly competition, so there is something to work towards through the year. Plus, with only a weekly meeting, the club is low commitment, so it’s easy to add into a busy high schooler’s schedule.