Seven Students Step Up to Lead Fellowship of Christian Athletes

A large group of students gathered in the front of the school for See You at the Pole. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

By Abigail Bentz, Editor in Chief

Another year marks the start of Fellowship of Christian Athletes meetings with some new student leaders stepping up.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes, referred to as FCA, is a globally known organization that gathers Christian students in high schools, colleges and universities to discuss their faith. While the organization’s founding mission was targeted to student athletes, the group now expands to students of all kind. Susquehannock’s FCA has focused its recent years on the idea that all are welcome.

Advisor and teacher Wade Bowers took over the club three years ago. FCA was previously advised by physical education, health and driver’s ed teacher Doug Truscott. Bowers, former youth group teacher, takes an interest in the process of youth strengthening their faith.

“I think FCA is a solid group of students that really like to meet on Wednesday mornings to talk about their faith, to grow in their faith, and to share their faith with other people in a public school setting,” said Bowers.

Student leaders Dan Pergrin and Dan Stifler participate in singing during See You at the Pole on September 24. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

The group is a student-led organization. This year, FCA has seven students looking forward to sharing the leadership role. Leaders teach lessons during every meeting. Lessons sometimes include ice breaking activities, readings of scripture and video clips that allow students to grow as Christians.

Junior Matthew Barnhart is one of the seven student leaders. This year is Barnhart’s third year in FCA and first year leading.

“Originally it was my sister [that helped me join FCA],” said Barnhart. “She went every morning, and so I just went with her to see what it was all about. As the years went on, I got more attached to it, so I actually wanted to go and be a part of it.”

Another leader in the junior class is Dan Pergrin.

“Being involved with it for two to three years, I just felt like it [being a leader] was a good move for me,” said Pergrin.

Some of the staff members (Bowers, Myers, Truscott, Krebs and Schearer) attended FCA's See You at the Pole. Photo by: Abigail Bentz
Some of the staff members (Bowers, Myers, Truscott, Krebs and Schearer) attended FCA’s See You at the Pole. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

Pergrin enjoys the informality of FCA mornings.

“We get there right around 7 a.m. on Wednesday mornings,” said Pergrin. “We have five or ten minutes to get ready, grab a drink and donut, and then somebody leads or we watch a video and just kind of hang out.”

Videos, readings and prayer help the students convey their message of the day. According to Bowers, the number of students attending FCA depends on the year and the leaders; however, they are always looking to reach more students. FCA has a mission to spread their message to as many members of the student body as possible.

“The mission of FCA is to bring more people that don’t know Christ closer to Christ,” said Barnhart.

Barnhart and Pergrin enjoy how FCA is placed on Wednesdays, the middle of week. According to both leaders, the meetings have really pushed students to stay positive and keep giving their best effort during the rest of the week.

Pergrin looks forward to having FCA start his Wednesday mornings.

“[My favorite part of FCA] is being able to get together with a bunch of my close friends on Wednesday mornings and have a good start to the morning instead of just a moppy start to my day,” said Pergrin.

The club has historically been limited to meeting once a week, but they are hoping to branch out and meet outside of school.

“I would like to do more outside of Wednesday mornings,” said Bowers. “I would like to maybe do something after school or really have the leaders come together and decide on what we can do outside of school.”

A large event for the club is “See You at the Pole,” a global tradition that FCA groups from all over participate in. On September 24, students gather at their campus flagpole and pray for global, national, local and school-wide problems.

Students split in to smaller groups to participate in prayer led by the seven student leaders. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

For the weeks after “See You at the Pole,” the club meets every Wednesday in Mr. Truscott’s room at 7 a.m.