Boys Soccer Seeks Another State Title

Duncan Mitchell and Alex Rebich celebrate. Courtesy of Jeff Lautenberger of GameTimePA.com.

By Kerrie DeFelice, Reporter

Warrior Boys Soccer is currently first in the division ii standings. Courtesy of Jeff Lautenberger of GameTimePA.com.
Warrior Boys Soccer is currently first in the Division II standings. Courtesy of Jeff Lautenberger of GameTimePA.com.

Currently first in the Division II standings,  boys soccer is one step closer to reaching their goal of winning the division, counties, and then states led by their ten seniors and second year coach Brett Maxwell.

Senior Matthew Ramey tries to beat out a Gettysburg defender. Courtesy of Jeff Lautenberger of GameTimePA.com.
Senior captain Matthew Ramey tries to beat out a Gettysburg defender. Courtesy of Jeff Lautenberger of GameTimePA.com.

The Warriors have played eight games this season; two of which were out of division games against Central Dauphin and Central York. Both of these games led to losses for the Warriors, (Central Dauphin 4-2 and Central York 5-1), yet they do not affect their chances for a division title.

Senior midfielder Duncan Mitchell knows the team has worked on their weak points. “ [The season] started out a little rough, but we’ve been working hard to work on our positioning and team playing, so it’s starting to pick up,” said Mitchell.

One of the main contributing factors to the boys’ success this season is their offensive strikers and wings.

Senior captain and midfielder Matt Ramey attributes their strong attacking to senior forward Alex Rebich and junior midfielder Luke Thomas.

“ [Alex] Rebich is strong,” said Ramey, “and Luke [Thomas] is creative so he can set Rebich up [to score].”

Alex Rebich leads the team in scoring with nine goals and three assists, while Luke Thomas leads in assists with six and two goals.

Another strong aspect of the Warriors is their strong defensive line lead by senior Andrew Renzi, senior Clay Ayres, junior Brady Gallegos, sophomore Zak Kettinger, and goalies Nathan Houser and Aaron Bilbie.

Alex Rebich leads the team with 9 goals this season. Courtesy of Jeff Lautenberger of GameTimePA.com.
Senior Alex Rebich leads the team with 11 goals this season. Courtesy of Jeff Lautenberger of GameTimePA.com.

Although the regular season is halfway through, the Warriors still have some skills to work on if they want to take home the state title.

“We’re working on coming out stronger in the beginning of games.” says Mitchell.

Ramey explained that their midfield shape needs attention because “if we don’t have midfield shape, we aren’t successful.”

It has been 6 years since the boys soccer team has brought home the PIAA State AA title. In order to do so again the team plans on taking it one step at a time.

“First we’re going to focus on division champs, then counties, and then districts champs…. We’re going to take it one step at a time,” said Renzi. “We have a very talented team, and I feel like we have a good chance of making it far.”

Warrior Boys Soccer celebrates a win against Gettysburg. Courtesy of Jeff Lautenberger of GameTimePA.com.

STATISTICS as of September 17, 2014

NAME

GOALS ASSISTS
Sr. Owen Founds 1 0
Sr. Duncan Mitchell 1 2
Sr. Matt Ramey 1 1
Sr. Alex Rebich 11 3
Sr. Andrew Sweigard 4 1
Sr. Nick Umezawa 4 0
Jr. Brady Gallegos 1 0
Jr. Luke Thomas 3 6
So. Cheikh Cisse 2 0
So. Colton Mumley 2 0

GOALIE STATISTICS as of September 16, 2014

GOALIES SAVES MINUTES
Sr. Nathan Houser 11 272
So. Aaron Bilbie 13 208